Question about Dimensions (very basic)

• Thread starter ashimb9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary: Another way to look at that is that if kx were multiplied by some constant with units of 1/radians, it would not change the value of kx, but it would give it units of radians. You can check it by plugging in a value for x, say 2m, (which has units of length) and see if the stuff in the cosine comes out to a numerical value with no units. If it doesn't, then you are missing a factor of 1/radians somewhere in there.Hope that helps!
ashimb9
1) Which of the equations below is dimension-
ally correct?
a. y = (2 m) cos(k x), k = 2 m-1
b. v = v0 + a x

my work for:
a) cos(kx) = 2ym-1
So this would lead to k = (1/x)cos-1(2ym-1)

But i don't know whether the COSINE operation on RHS changes m-1 to any other unit or not. So, please help me with that.

b) in this case i thought that the presence of two unknown quantities with unknown units on the RHS would mean that the dimension of "v" is correct or not. So i would say it cannot be determined

2) The volume of an object is given as a func-
tion of time by V = A+(B/t)+Ct4. Determine
the dimension of the constant C.
1. L2/T4
2. L4/T3
3. L3/T4
4. L/T
5. L/T4

My work:

V = A+(B/t)+Ct4
so, V=A+(B+Ct5/t)
or, C= {[(V-A)t]-B}/t5

Which i thought would give the dimension for C as L/T4. But i am not sure at all so please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ashimb9 said:
1) Which of the equations below is dimension-
ally correct?
a. y = (2 m) cos(k x), k = 2 m-1

Sorry I don't understand your use of m in this equation. Are you intending that m is some unit like mass?

ashimb9 said:
b. v = v0 + a x
Again what is the units of a? Are you meaning acceleration here? Is V units of velocity? If a is supposed to be x/t2 and v in units of x/t then no the equation is not consistent as the last term is apparently x2/t2 and not x/t.
ashimb9 said:
2) The volume of an object is given as a func-
tion of time by V = A+(B/t)+Ct4. Determine
the dimension of the constant C.
1. L2/T4
2. L4/T3
3. L3/T4
4. L/T
5. L/T4

Here doesn't each term have to be in units of volume? Doesn't that require the last term Ct4 to be in units of L3?

see that is the question. i posted them as is, without ANY modification and that's the same thing i thght. what does "a" and other variables mean and what are their units. nothing is given.

ashimb9 said:
see that is the question. i posted them as is, without ANY modification and that's the same thing i thght. what does "a" and other variables mean and what are their units. nothing is given.

That may be true for question 1. But your answer to question 2 is apparently figured incorrectly.

apparently the rite answer for the second question was 3 which is L3/T4. apparently the first one is the correct one in the first question. well thanks for helpin out

My guess is that in 1a, the use of "m" is intended to be meters. The use of m^-1 in the given value of k seems to indicate this.

I'd like to point out something that you may have forgotten from trig. Sine/Cosine, etc are dimensionless functions. They have no dimensions. Remember their definitions from triangles.

Sine(theta) = opposite side / hypotenuse
Cos(theta) = adjacent side / hypotenuse
etc

In any ratio like this the numerator (top) units will cancel the denominator (bottom) units. So it doesn't matter if the triangle sides will be measured in feet, meters, inches, thumb widths, etc. The units will always cancel and the answer (a ratio) will be the same for all units.

So you can ignore the cosine in 1a and use just what's out front. BUT...You DO have to take into account if the quantity inside the () of the cosine come out to radians. Sometimes the convention is not to explicitely type out radians in the units because radians is itself defined as a ratio. So I would check that "kx" comes out with no units in order to be correct for inside the cosine.

What are the dimensions of an object?

The dimensions of an object refer to its measurements in length, width, and height. For example, a cube has dimensions of 1 unit in length, 1 unit in width, and 1 unit in height.

How do you calculate dimensions?

To calculate dimensions, you need to measure the length, width, and height of an object using a ruler or measuring tape. Then, you can add these measurements together to get the total dimensions of the object.

What is the difference between 2D and 3D dimensions?

2D dimensions refer to objects that only have length and width, such as a flat piece of paper. 3D dimensions refer to objects that have length, width, and height, such as a cube or a sphere.

What is the concept of a fourth dimension?

The concept of a fourth dimension is a theoretical extension of the three dimensions we commonly perceive in our physical world. It is often used in science and mathematics to explain complex phenomena and theories.

What are some examples of objects with different dimensions?

Some examples of objects with different dimensions include a line (1D), a square (2D), a cube (3D), a tesseract (4D), and a hypersphere (5D).