Question about Energy Interactions.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of interactions between energies and how they can lead to the creation or transformation of matter. The idea of energy particles and their role in interactions is also explored, along with the concept of energy conservation and the relationship between matter and energy. The conversation also touches on the limitations of analyzing interactions through the properties of energy and the role of Quantum Field Theory in understanding these interactions.
neomahakala108
Gold Member
is it true that:

'as energies interact, they change properties, possibly creating massive matter in the process or vice versa'

?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you read this? This sentence doesn't make sense as stated.

Matterwave said:
Where did you read this? This sentence doesn't make sense as stated.

it's deduction of mine, i wanted to verify it with experts for truth.

Ok, then my opinion is that it doesn't make sense as stated.

Matterwave said:
Ok, then my opinion is that it doesn't make sense as stated.

how it would make sense then?

As I don't know what you're trying to say, I probably can't fix the statement. I can give a possible alternative.

There is a small probability, when two photons of sufficient energy interact, that they can undergo reverse annihilation and create an electron positron pair.

Likes 1 person
There is a small probability, when two photons of sufficient energy interact, that they can undergo reverse annihilation and create an electron positron pair.

thanks for that.

neomahakala108 said:
is it true that:

'as energies interact, they change properties, possibly creating massive matter in the process or vice versa'

?

No, because energy doesn't interact. It is not a "thing". It is a quantity that objects possess.

Likes 1 person
Drakkith said:
No, because energy doesn't interact. It is not a "thing". It is a quantity that objects possess.

thanks for that.

however,

if matter is form of energy...

this seems contradicting with idea of energy particles.

----

1. 'matter is form of energy'

2. 'energy doesn't interact. energy is not a "thing". it is a quantity that objects possess'.

two above mentions seems to contradict each other from my perspective, even if i can see the difference between 'form of energy' and 'energy'.

Last edited:
neomahakala108 said:
if matter is form of energy...

It is

neomahakala108 said:
it is a quantity that objects possess'.

That is true as well. But in no way contradicts the first thing.

A modern understanding of energy may help:
http://physwiki.ucdavis.edu/Classic..._Mass_and_Energy/Noether's_Theorem_for_Energy

Without going into the details, because it's highly mathematical, not only does energy conservation follow from Noether's beautiful theorem, but that matter is a form of energy as well.

But so no one thinks I am wimping out here is an outline of the reasoning.

First for Noether's Theorem you need a Lagrangian. It must be relativistically invariant. The only reasonable one is a constant A times an infinitesimal amount of proper time or A dtau. Taking the classical limit, in units with the speed of light C=1, we find, interestingly, A = m - the mass of the particle. If you chug through the math, and apply Noether's theorem, it turns out the quantity that it says is conversed, because of time invariance, which by definition is energy, is Einsteins famous E=M (c squared is missing because we have C=1 for simplicity).

You can find the full detail in Landau - Classical Theory Of Fields - Chapter 2.

But this is just so you know I am not wimping out - the detail is out there in standard textbooks.

So mass is just a great big hunk of energy, and is conserved.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
but is it true that energies do not interact?

if mass is energy form, and two mass particles collide, one breaking another... then somehow they did interact, and changed spread in space of mass (E=M).

sorry for my stupidity and ignorance, trying to learn.

neomahakala108 said:
1. 'matter is form of energy'

2. 'energy doesn't interact. energy is not a "thing". it is a quantity that objects possess'.

two above mentions seems to contradict each other from my perspective, even if i can see the difference between 'form of energy' and 'energy'.

I'd say that matter and fields possesses energy, but they are not energy itself. It is the collision of matter or excitations of fields that produce new matter, not the collision of energy. Saying energy interacts is like saying momentum or velocity interacts and produces new things.

i read that from a certain perspective, particle of light, a photon, has a size, about half a fermi: 0.5·10-15m, 'since you start to feel it pushing back against you if you go to close', which happens at about that size.

this is also interaction.

---

also:

'when two electric charges interact, the presence of one causes a force to act on the other and as a result both start moving...'

it's quote / paraphrase from book about Quantum Physics, with references to Classical Physics for more complete understanding

Last edited:
neomahakala108 said:
if mass is energy form

Although mass is a dirty great big hunk of energy, you can't draw the conclusion that's the only property it has and when things interact its energy that interacts.

Matter has properties of mass, energy, and other things (such as say charge and spin), but that's not to say those properties are what interacts.

Our deepest theory, Quantum Field Theory, describes interactions as the exchange of virtual particles, but what's going on is subtle and not amenable to the type analysis implied by the quotes you have been giving:
http://profmattstrassler.com/articl...ysics-basics/virtual-particles-what-are-they/

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
bhobba said:
Although mass is a dirty great big hunk of energy, you can't draw the conclusion that's the only property it has and when things interact its energy that interacts.

Matter has properties of mass, energy, and other things (such as say charge and spin), but that's not to say those properties are what interacts.

thanks for that.

Our deepest theory, Quantum Field Theory, describes interactions as the exchange of virtual particles, but what's going on is subtle and not amenable to the type analysis implied by the quotes you have been giving:
http://profmattstrassler.com/articl...ysics-basics/virtual-particles-what-are-they/

Thanks
Bill

and thanks for that...

this changed my Mind-State and a way of thinking already.

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It can come in many forms such as kinetic, potential, thermal, electrical, and chemical.

How do different forms of energy interact with each other?

Different forms of energy can interact with each other through processes such as conversion, transfer, and transformation. For example, kinetic energy can be converted into thermal energy through friction, or electrical energy can be transformed into light energy in a light bulb.

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system will remain constant over time.

How do energy interactions impact the environment?

Energy interactions can have a significant impact on the environment. For example, the burning of fossil fuels for energy releases greenhouse gases, contributing to climate change. The extraction and use of energy resources can also have negative impacts on local ecosystems and biodiversity.

What are some renewable sources of energy?

Renewable sources of energy are resources that can be replenished naturally and are not depleted with use. Some examples include solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass energy. These sources are considered more sustainable and have lower environmental impacts compared to non-renewable sources like fossil fuels.