How do photons transfer energy?

In summary, the individual transfer of energy between photons is not necessary for energy to be transmitted from the Sun to the Earth. The concept of induction in the context of sound propagation may not apply to electromagnetic waves and it is important to have a correct understanding of the process before making analogies.
Andreea007
TL;DR Summary
Hi, so my question is how do photons transfer energy from one another if they do not interact?
Hi! So I know about the electron-photon interaction but what about photon-photon interaction? I mean, I do know there is a very small chance for them to interact, but how else do they transfer energy in order to get from Sun to Earth, for example?
When it comes to sound waves I get it, for example, when we beat the drums, the skin of the drum oscillates, causing surrounding air particles to oscillates, and so on and so on, until it receives the eardrum, through induction (mathematical process). But I'm thinking that maybe the same induction process is going on in the electromagnetic wave. I found a definition that says that the energy transfer happens through induction (first affect surrounding particles, then those particles affect surrounding particles, and so on), but how exactly do photons do that? Please, note that I'm a newbie and I'm not very familiar with physics concepts. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Andreea007 said:
Summary:: Hi, so my question is how do photons transfer energy from one another if they do not interact?

Hi! So I know about the electron-photon interaction but what about photon-photon interaction? I mean, I do know there is a very small chance for them to interact, but how else do they transfer energy in order to get from Sun to Earth, for example?
When it comes to sound waves I get it, for example, when we beat the drums, the skin of the drum oscillates, causing surrounding air particles to oscillates, and so on and so on, until it receives the eardrum, through induction (mathematical process). But I'm thinking that maybe the same induction process is going on in the electromagnetic wave. I found a definition that says that the energy transfer happens through induction (first affect surrounding particles, then those particles affect surrounding particles, and so on), but how exactly do photons do that? Please, note that I'm a newbie and I'm not very familiar with physics concepts. Thank you in advance!
This is why we require a reference before discussing something like this. It's not clear what you've read, what you've understood about quantum electrodynamics and what you don't understand.

In any case, it's not clear precisely what question you are asking.

Andreea007 said:
how else do they transfer energy in order to get from Sun to Earth, for example?
Why do you think any energy has to be "transferred" by a photon traveling in free space? Of course the photons from the Sun transfer energy to the Earth when they reach the Earth, but they don't do that by interacting with other photons.

Likes vanhees71
Andreea007 said:
when we beat the drums, the skin of the drum oscillates, causing surrounding air particles to oscillates, and so on and so on, until it receives the eardrum, through induction (mathematical process).
I have no idea what you mean by "induction" here. Your eardrum oscillates the same way the air carrying the sound waves does.

Andreea007 said:
I'm thinking that maybe the same induction process is going on in the electromagnetic wave.
Before even trying to speculate about such an analogy (and such speculations are really off topic here at PF anyway), you need to first correctly understand how the process on which you are basing the analogy works. From the above, I'm not sure you do. (Note that discussion of how we hear sound really belongs in the Biology forum, not this one, and discussion about how sound waves in air propagate really belongs in the Classical Physics forum, not this one.)

1. How do photons transfer energy?

Photons transfer energy through a process called electromagnetic radiation. This occurs when photons, which are particles of light, are emitted from a source and travel through space until they are absorbed by another object.

2. What is the energy of a single photon?

The energy of a single photon is determined by its wavelength. The shorter the wavelength, the higher the energy of the photon. This relationship is described by the equation E = hc/λ, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength.

3. Do photons always transfer energy?

Yes, photons always transfer energy when they are absorbed by an object. However, not all photons are absorbed, as some may pass through an object without interacting with it.

4. Can photons transfer energy in a vacuum?

Yes, photons can transfer energy in a vacuum. This is because electromagnetic radiation does not require a medium to travel through, unlike sound waves which require a medium such as air.

5. How is the energy of photons used in everyday life?

The energy of photons is used in a variety of ways in everyday life. Some examples include solar panels, which convert the energy of photons from the sun into electricity, and digital cameras, which use photons to capture images. Additionally, the energy of photons is used in medical imaging techniques such as X-rays and MRI scans.