Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about generator of cyclic group

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    Say we have a cyclic group G, and a generator a in G. This means [a] = G. We know the order of an element a, is the order of the group it generates, [a], and also this is the smallest integer s such that as=e, where e is the identity element. In this case, [a]=G, so s is just the order of G.

Now my question is, since a is a generator of G, this means there is an integer t such that for every m in G, at=m. But is it always true that t ≤ s? What I mean is, does the integer s such that as = e (the identity) always have to be greater than the integer t such that at=m (where m is just any old element in G, NOT the identity!) Could you have a situation say where you have a group G and generator a, and say e is the identity element in G, and m is some other element in G, and a5=e, but a10=m?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2012 #2
    What happens with as+1? Well, you get asa = ea = a, so you start the same cycle over again.

4. Oct 15, 2012 #3
    Number Nine, thank you very much for this, that makes complete sense and clears my confusion and I don't know why I didn't think of it this way before!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook