Question about homogeneous dif. equations

• Thread starter student85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homogeneous
In summary, there are two different definitions for "homogeneous" equations in differential equations. The first definition applies to first order equations and means that all terms are of the same degree. The second definition applies to linear equations and means that the equation is of a certain form and equal to zero. This can lead to confusion when asked whether an equation is homogeneous or not, as it could satisfy one definition but not the other. A correct answer would depend on the specific equation and which definition is being used.
student85
I've been confused for a little while as my teacher in dif. eq.'s taught us about homogeneous equations, where you can call an eq. homogeneous if all terms are of the same degree. But then, when seeing linear dif. equations we were taught that an homogeneous eq. is one with certain form and equal to zero. Ok to get to the point, I'm confused because I am sometimes asked whether an eq. is homogeneous or not...but I mean, it could not be homogeneous according to the first definition that I was taught and it could be homogeneous according to the second one...so what is a correct answer here??

Thanks for any help and I hope I got myself clear

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is unfortunate that the same term is used for two completely different things!

However, the first use of "homogeneous" applies only to first order equations. The second use applies only to linear equations.

A first order differential equation that was "homogeneous" in the second sense would have to be of the form dy/dx= f(x)y and would be a relatively simple separable equation.

Thanks a lot!
...but wait, you said that an equation that would satisfy both definitions would be of the form dy/dx= f(x)y , but wouldn't it depend on f(x) to whether it satisfies the first definition(in which all terms are of the same degree)?
dy/dx has 0 degree right? y has a degree of 1, so f(x) would require a degree of -1 for the eq. to be homogeneous according to our first definition...or am I missing something?

No, you are right- I mispoke. A first order d.e. is "homogenous" in the first sense if dy/dx= f(x,y) and f(x,y) can be written as a function of the single expression y/x. That means that a linear, first order equation that is "homogenous" in both senses must be dy/dx= y/x!

1. What is a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation where all terms involving the dependent variable and its derivatives have the same degree. This means that the equation can be written in a form where the dependent variable and its derivatives are on one side and all other terms are on the other side.

2. How do you solve a homogeneous differential equation?

To solve a homogeneous differential equation, you first need to find the characteristic equation by setting the coefficients of the dependent variable and its derivatives equal to zero. Then, you can use various methods such as substitution or separation of variables to solve for the dependent variable.

3. What is the difference between homogeneous and non-homogeneous differential equations?

The main difference between homogeneous and non-homogeneous differential equations is that in homogeneous equations, all terms involving the dependent variable and its derivatives have the same degree, while in non-homogeneous equations, this is not the case. This means that the methods used to solve these equations may differ.

4. Can a homogeneous differential equation have non-zero initial conditions?

Yes, a homogeneous differential equation can have non-zero initial conditions. These conditions, also known as boundary conditions, are used to find a specific solution to the differential equation that satisfies the given conditions.

5. What are some real-life applications of homogeneous differential equations?

Homogeneous differential equations have many applications in science and engineering, such as in the fields of physics, chemistry, and biology. They are used to model various physical phenomena, including population growth, chemical reactions, and heat transfer.