Question about quantum entanglement

In summary: If Alice measures spin up the first time, she will measure spin up every time. If she measures spin down the first time, she will measure spin down every time.
KingGambit
TL;DR Summary
Spin
Dear PF Forum,

I've been having this question for a long time.
I want to know how or what is measurement.

Supposed there are two observers. Alice and Bob,
They are separated 10 light minutes away. They are in the same frame of reference, meaning that their distance is the same all the time.
Not accelerating frame. So their proper time are the same, clocks are synchronized, and they have the same concept of "NOW"
They make an arrangement.

At 00:10:00, Alice measures her electron. It spins down.

I have two question here.

A. What if Bob measures his electron at 00:10:00? I think it spins up

B. What if Bob measures his electron at 00:11:00? Alice world line hasn't reached Bob's yet.
Considering in their agreement that after Alice measures her electron at 00:10:00,
- she does nothing.
- Bob does nothing either until 00:11:00

will it spins
B1. Up
B2. Random?

Thank you very much for your enlightment.

Physics news on Phys.org
KingGambit said:
At 00:10:00, Alice measures her electron. It spins down.

I have two question here.

A. What if Bob measures his electron at 00:10:00? I think it spins up
If they measure spin about the same axis, then they will always get opposite values. So, yes, if Alice gets spin up, then Bob must get spin down.

KingGambit said:
B. What if Bob measures his electron at 00:11:00? Alice world line hasn't reached Bob's yet.
Considering in their agreement that after Alice measures her electron at 00:10:00,
- she does nothing.
- Bob does nothing either until 00:11:00

will it spins
B1. Up
B2. Random?
This doesn't change anything. The spins (about the same axis) are always opposite.

Note that some of your ideas and statements about reference frames and worldlines are not quite right, but that doesn't affect the main issue of perfectly anti-correlated spin measurements.

Likes KingGambit
KingGambit said:
Supposed there are two observers. Alice and Bob,
They are separated 10 light minutes away. They are in the same frame of reference, meaning that their distance is the same all the time.
Not accelerating frame. So their proper time are the same, clocks are synchronized, and they have the same concept of "NOW"
A better way to describe this is that they share an inertial rest frame.

KingGambit said:
Alice world line hasn't reached Bob's yet.
I think you mean that a light signal from the event of Alice's measurement cannot have reached Bob by the time he makes his measurement. Technically this means that the measurement events are spacelike separated.

Likes KingGambit
Thank you, thank you very much Perok

I think I have one other question (many actually, but it's the only one that I can think of).
When Alice measure her electron it spins up.
What happens when Alice measure her electron again some times later?
Considering that Bob does not do anything, and nobody tampering with Alice electron.
Will it
- Always spins up?
- Always spins down?
- Random

KingGambit said:
I think I have one other question (many actually, but it's the only one that I can think of).
When Alice measure her electron it spins up.
What happens when Alice measure her electron again some times later?
Considering that Bob does not do anything, and nobody tampering with Alice electron.
Will it
- Always spins up?
- Always spins down?
- Random
In general, if you repeat a measurement of spin you get the same result. This has nothing to do with what Bob does.

Likes KingGambit and vanhees71

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are physically separated.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two particles interact and become entangled, meaning their properties become correlated. This correlation remains even when the particles are separated, and any change in one particle will affect the other instantaneously, regardless of the distance between them.

3. What is the significance of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is significant because it challenges our understanding of the physical world and has potential applications in quantum computing, secure communication, and teleportation.

4. Can quantum entanglement be observed in everyday life?

No, quantum entanglement is a phenomenon that occurs at the quantum level and is not observable in our everyday lives. It requires highly controlled laboratory conditions and specialized equipment to observe and study.

5. Is quantum entanglement real?

Yes, quantum entanglement has been experimentally observed and is a well-established phenomenon in quantum physics. It has been confirmed through numerous experiments and is an essential aspect of our current understanding of the quantum world.