1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about something reaching exactly +

1. Feb 7, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Question about something reaching exactly +

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sorry, I accidentally hit the enter button. Anyways my question is about something reaching exactly +2G acceleration on a turn. I tried asking my friends and teacher about it but it didn't exactly make sense the way they explained it. I just want to know what that means to have a +2g acceleration when turning

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Tangential or normal? I think you'll have to explain more about what your friends and teachers explained and express that in the form of a question.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  4. Feb 7, 2008 #3
    I think normal.

5. Feb 7, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Normal (centripetal) acceleration is given by v^2/r, where r is the radius of the turn and v is the velocity. If that's equal to 2g, then 2g=v^2/r.

6. Feb 7, 2008 #5
    Oh okay. That makes sense now. So that would mean that 2(-9.81m/s^2) = v^2/r right?

7. Feb 7, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. Except I wouldn't put a minus sign on g in this context. g is just a magnitude, not a direction.

8. Feb 7, 2008 #7
    Oh okay. Thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?