Question about space suits on Mars - for YA novel

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a human visiting Mars' surface for a few minutes with only a helmet and oxygen, rather than a full space suit. It is mentioned that it may be possible, but would not be comfortable or without potential harm. Further information is provided about the atmospheric pressure and its effect on the body, with the conclusion that it may not be survivable. There is also a mention of advanced technology making it easier to visit Mars for a short duration.
Elon303
Hi!

I have a question about space suits on Mars. I've done a google search and find conflicting information.

In my YA novel the protagonist makes a quick stop on Mars (just for a couple of minutes).

I wonder if it's possible for a human to visit Mars surface for a couple of minutes with just a helmet (oxygen) and not a full space suit? I've heard that "humans would not survive long under such conditions". But my question is could we survive a couple of minutes in that atmospheric pressure with oxygen provided?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
You should look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Mars It can get mighty cold there. (Average low around -100F)
Yes but they also have "summers" there where temperatures are around 20 degrees celsius at certain places, so that won't be a problem.

Elon303 said:
I wonder if it's possible for a human to visit Mars surface for a couple of minutes with just a helmet (oxygen) and not a full space suit? I've heard that "humans would not survive long under such conditions". But my question is could we survive a couple of minutes in that atmospheric pressure with oxygen provided?

Could you survive? Probably. Would it be comfortable? No. Would it be harmful? Probably. You'd be subject to decompression effects and your body would swell since you have gases dissolved inside your body that exert an outwards pressure, though your skin is tough enough not to rupture. Any orifices or soft tissue exposed to the low pressure would probably bruise and bleed as blood vessels rupture under the pressure difference. It wouldn't be pretty and it wouldn't be fun.

Vanadium 50 said:
You should look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Mars It can get mighty cold there. (Average low around -100F)

Hmmm. I wonder how long it would take you to freeze in such a low-density atmosphere.

Likes Elon303
Drakkith said:
Hmmm. I wonder how long it would take you to freeze in such a low-density atmosphere.

The rest of your life. :wink:

Likes Drakkith
If your setting has advanced enough technology that it’s perfectly reasonable to drop by Mars for a few minutes then spacesuits that are quick and easy to put on aren’t going to break it.

Likes Elon303
Elon303 said:
I wonder if it's possible for a human to visit Mars surface for a couple of minutes with just a helmet (oxygen) and not a full space suit?
According to this site we need around 10-13kPa oxygen pressure present (for untrained human) to be able to breathe (with just barely acceptable inconveniences, on short term). That's around half of the (oxygen) pressure at sea level - or oxygen pressure at 3000-5500m altitude. Around 6kPa it would be like standing on the top of Mt. Everest, without any acclimatization...

On the Mars, the atmospheric pressure is 600Pa (according to Wiki, linked precviously). Even if you saturate the breathing gas with oxygen it would be about the tenth of the amount available on the Mt. Everest. I would say, it is just like being without any oxygen at all. Loss of conscience within a minute or two.
And that's just breathing. I can't account for boiling.

Likes Elon303
After a couple tens of seconds, you'd be a walking hickey. I don't think that a few minutes would cause problems with blood boiling - skin isn't that elastic - but the bends could be an issue. You'd probably want to gird your loins.

Girdling would be a good idea, also : tighten a belt around your diaphragm so you can deflate your lungs.

But, let's ask NASA

Last edited:
Likes Elon303
Ryan_m_b said:
If your setting has advanced enough technology that it’s perfectly reasonable to drop by Mars for a few minutes then spacesuits that are quick and easy to put on aren’t going to break it.
Rive said:
According to this site we need around 10-13kPa oxygen pressure present (for untrained human) to be able to breathe (with just barely acceptable inconveniences, on short term). That's around half of the (oxygen) pressure at sea level - or oxygen pressure at 3000-5500m altitude. Around 6kPa it would be like standing on the top of Mt. Everest, without any acclimatization...

On the Mars, the atmospheric pressure is 600Pa (according to Wiki, linked precviously). Even if you saturate the breathing gas with oxygen it would be about the tenth of the amount available on the Mt. Everest. I would say, it is just like being without any oxygen at all. Loss of conscience within a minute or two.
And that's just breathing. I can't account for boiling.
hmmm27 said:
After a couple tens of seconds, you'd be a walking hickey. I don't think that a few minutes would cause problems with blood boiling - skin isn't that elastic - but the bends could be an issue. You'd probably want to gird your loins.

Girdling would be a good idea, also : tighten a belt around your diaphragm so you can deflate your lungs.

But, let's ask NASA
The answer seems to be: you need a space suit.

Thanks everybody!

The Russian astronaut Leonov had to let a lot of air out of his space suit in order to fit back in through the airlock on his spacecraft . It would be interesting to know what pressure he got down to.

Rather than a multi-layered Apollo suit with lunar overall, or a jointed rigid suit, you may do better with a 'skin suit' which clenches everything snug, plus a heavily quilted / heated overall, which keeps you warm and offers some protection against sand etc...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_activity_suit

Likes Elon303
Nik_2213 said:
Rather than a multi-layered Apollo suit with lunar overall, or a jointed rigid suit, you may do better with a 'skin suit' which clenches everything snug, plus a heavily quilted / heated overall, which keeps you warm and offers some protection against sand etc...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_activity_suit
It needs to be pressurized, though. The difficulty with spacesuits has always been trying to pressurize them without making them too rigid to move in.

Russ, please have another look at my link.
Most of the 'Skin Suit' is not pressurised, it relies on the elasticity of the porous fabric to keep the occupant intact.
No flexibility issues...

1. How do space suits on Mars protect astronauts?

Space suits on Mars are designed to protect astronauts from the harsh environment on the planet. They are made of multiple layers of material that provide insulation from extreme temperatures, radiation, and dust. The suits also have built-in life support systems that provide oxygen, regulate temperature, and remove carbon dioxide.

2. Can space suits on Mars be used for long periods of time?

Yes, space suits on Mars are designed to be used for long periods of time. They are equipped with enough oxygen, water, and food supplies to sustain astronauts for several days. The suits also have waste management systems to handle bodily waste.

3. How do astronauts move around in space suits on Mars?

Astronauts can move around in space suits on Mars using a combination of their own body strength and the suit's mobility features. The suits have joints and flexible materials that allow astronauts to bend and move their limbs. They also have special boots that provide traction on the Martian surface.

4. What happens if a space suit on Mars malfunctions?

In the event of a space suit malfunction on Mars, astronauts have backup suits and repair tools available. They are also trained to perform emergency repairs on their suits if necessary. The suits also have alarms and warning systems to alert astronauts of any potential malfunctions.

5. How do space suits on Mars protect against radiation?

Space suits on Mars are equipped with materials that can shield astronauts from harmful radiation. The suits have layers of Kevlar, a strong and durable material, that block out most radiation. They also have a layer of reflective material to deflect solar radiation and protect against harmful UV rays.