Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the Planck spaces and observable universe, please help.

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    From Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googolplex

A Planck space has a volume of a Planck length cubed, which is the smallest measurable volume, at approximately 4.222×10^-105 cubic meters = 4.222×10^-99 cubic cm. Thus 2.5 cubic cm contain about a googol Planck spaces. There are only about 3×10^80 cubic metres in the observable universe, giving about 7.1×10^184 Planck spaces in the entire observable universe, so a googolplex is far larger than even the number of the smallest measurable spaces in the observable universe.

If the entire volume of the observable universe (taken to be 3 × 10^80 cubic meters) were packed solid with fine dust particles about 1.5 micrometres in size, then the number of different ways of ordering these particles (that is, assigning the number 1 to one particle, then the number 2 to another particle, and so on until all particles are numbered) would be approximately one googolplex.

---------
    So if the observable universe doesn't have enough space to contain a Googolplex of Planck spaces how come a Googolplex of 1.5 micrometres fine dust particles woud fit inside it?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I've made any mistakes, this is my first post here :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't say a googolplex dust particles fit in the universe, it says that if n is the number of dust particles, then a googolplex is approximately n factorial (the number of ways of ordering the dust particles)

4. Jun 26, 2013 #3
    Awww, I feel like a noob :eek: I get it now! Thank you really!

And BTW this is really a great forum, thanks for the quick answer! :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook