Question on function of operators

In summary, the function F(\hat{J}) is not limited to being a function of only one component of the operator \hat{J}. It can also be a function of multiple components, as seen in the example of F(J_x,J_y,J_z). In order to evaluate such a function, one must expand it into a Taylor series and use the commutation relations to determine the correct ordering of the operators. This is necessary because the components of J do not commute.
facenian
I don't unterstand de function [itex]F(\hat{J})[/itex] where J is the operator
[tex]\hat{J}=(\hat{J_1},\hat{J_2},\hat{J_3})[/tex]
and the components of J do not commute. In case when F a function of only one component we have the definition
[itex]F(\hat{J_1})|m>=F(m)|m>[/itex] where [itex]\hat{J_1}|m>=m|m>[/itex], but
how do you define the action action of [itex]F(\hat{J})[/itex] on a ket of the state space?

Physics news on Phys.org
A function can be decomposed into a power series:

[tex]F(x)=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}{a_i x^i}[/tex]

So you can simply plug in an operator [tex]A[/tex] to give:

[tex]F(A)=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}{a_i A^i}[/tex]

Now, if you apply an eigenvector of [tex]A[/tex], such that [tex]A|m>=m|m>[/tex], you get:

[tex]F(A)|m>=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}{a_i A^i|m>}=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}{a_i m^i|m>}=F(m)|m>[/tex]

So [tex]F(A)|m>=F(m)|m>[/tex] is not really a definition, it's the result of a simplification.

Hope that answers the question.

Edit: Oh, I just realized that you want to know what to do when you have a vector of operators. I have no answer for this, sorry...

First, you have to examine what the other operators do to an eigenstate of an operator they don't commute with. Using your notation, if you have eigenstates defined by

[tex]\hat{J}_1 |m\rangle = m | m\rangle[/tex]
[tex]\hat{J}_2 |n\rangle = n | n\rangle[/tex]

and the operators J_i are Hermitian, then to evaluate

[tex]\hat{J}_2 |m\rangle[/tex]

you insert a complete set of states from J_2's eigenvectors in order to evaluate what J_2 does:

[tex]\hat{J}_2 |m\rangle = \hat{J}_2 \left(\sum_n |n\rangle\langle n| \right) |m\rangle[/tex]
[tex]\hat{J}_2 |m\rangle = \sum_n |n\rangle n\langle n|m\rangle [/tex]

which is not too transparent, but we see that there is a contribution from each of J_2's eigenvalues proportionate to the projection of its eigenvector on the state of interest (m). So we project this back onto some other state in the basis of J_1 (to use the jargon, we are calculating matrix elements of J_2 in the basis of J_1):

[tex]\langle m' | \hat{J}_2 |m\rangle = \sum_n n \langle m'|n\rangle \langle n|m\rangle [/tex]

Now we see what this does; J_2 acting on some eigenstate of J_1 creates a new state which can have non-zero projections on other eigenstates of J_1, in other words, the action of J_2 does something non-trivial to an eigenvector of J_1.

You can go through this same analysis for higher powers of J_2, you will find that you just get a higher power of the eigenvalue in the resulting expression. You can use this to the Taylor series that GPPaille mentioned for a more general operator.

For a vector of operators, you just wind up with a vector of kets:

[tex]F(J)|m\rangle = (J_1,J_2,J_3) |m\rangle = (J_1 |m\rangle, J_2 |m\rangle, J_3 |m\rangle)[/tex]

(a vector of operators generally is a vector in a different space than the Hilbert space of your kets, so you just wind up with an "outer product" of these spaces, or rather, each component of your vector operator acting on a ket is its own equation that you are evaluating.)

Thank you for your answers
GPPaille said:
So [tex]F(A)|m>=F(m)|m>[/tex] is not really a definition, it's the result of a simplification.
According to Dirac the "definition" [tex]A|m>=m|m>[/tex] is more general because it is valid even when A(x) can not be expanded in power series

Acoording to kanato's explanation we finally have to expand the function [itex]F(J_1,J_2,J_3)[/itex] in a Taylor series , however it is still not clear to me how to do this because, it seems to me, we can express de power series expansion in many different ways, of course, when the operators J_i do commute all this "different ways" end up with the same result but, how do we choose de correct expansion when the J_i do not commute? Are we supposed to make same kind of symmetrization of the terms in the expansion?

facenian said:
According to Dirac the "definition" [tex]A|m>=m|m>[/tex] is more
general because it is valid even when A(x) can not be expanded in power series

[tex]A|m>=m|m>[/tex] just expresses a definition of eigenvector(s) and associated
eigenvalue(s) for an operator A. Extending to [tex]F(A)|m>=F(m)|m>[/tex] (and more
generally) has deep roots in something called the spectral theorem, actually the
spectral representation theorem(s). If you really want to know more, try this
as a starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_theorem

Acoording to kanato's explanation we finally have to expand the function [itex]F(J_1,J_2,J_3)[/itex] in a Taylor series , however it is still not clear to me how to do this because, it seems to me, we can express de power series expansion in many different ways, of course, when the operators J_i do commute all this "different ways" end up with the same result but, how do we choose de correct expansion when the J_i do not commute? Are we supposed to make same kind of symmetrization of the terms in the expansion?
Yes, you can express it in different ways, but usually one adopts conventions from
the theory of universal enveloping algebra of such Lie algebras such that the basic
algebraic elements are ordered a particular way (which is up to you, provided you're
consistent everywhere).

Thank you strangerep.
However I don't see why standard texts make reference to such function as [itex]F(J_x,J_y,J_z)[/itex] without any explanation on this point, they only explain the meaning of functions of one opeator such as F(A). It is very frustrating indeed.

facenian said:
[...]
I don't see why standard texts make reference to such function as [itex]F(J_x,J_y,J_z)[/itex] without any explanation on this point, they only explain the meaning of functions of one opeator such as F(A). It is very frustrating indeed.

Consider an ordinary function f(x,y,z) of 3 ordinary (commuting) variables.
Suppose I give you one specific such function:
[itex]
f(x,y,z) ~:=~ x + y + xy + yzx + yx
[/itex]
You might then say:
"oh, that's really the same as [itex]f(x,y,z) ~:=~ x + y + 2xy + xyz[/itex]"

My point is there's nothing particularly mysterious about a
function of operators. You just have to work a bit harder (using
commutation relations, etc) to figure out whether two
seemingly-different functions are in fact the same.

HTH.

1. What is the function of operators in programming?

Operators in programming are symbols or special keywords that are used to perform mathematical, logical, or relational operations on one or more operands. They help in manipulating data and controlling the flow of a program.

2. What are the different types of operators in programming?

Operators can be classified into several different types, including arithmetic, comparison, logical, assignment, and bitwise operators. Each type serves a specific purpose and has its own set of rules and syntax.

3. How are operators used in programming languages?

Operators are used in programming languages by combining them with operands to form expressions. These expressions are then evaluated to produce a result. Operators can be used for tasks such as performing calculations, making decisions, and assigning values to variables.

4. Can operators be overloaded in programming?

Yes, operators can be overloaded in programming. This means that a single operator can have different meanings or behaviors depending on the type of operands it is used with. Overloading operators can help make code more concise and readable.

5. Are there any rules to follow when using operators in programming?

Yes, there are some rules that must be followed when using operators in programming. These rules include operator precedence, which determines the order in which operations are performed, and associativity, which determines the direction in which operations are evaluated. It is important to follow these rules to ensure the correct execution of a program.