Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on group actions on vector spaces

1. Jun 17, 2010 #1
    Hello,
    If I am given a vector space (e.g. [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]), and a group [itex]G[/itex] that acts on [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], what are the conditions that [itex]G[/itex] must satisfy so that for any given [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] its orbit [itex]Gx[/itex] is a manifold ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2010 #2
    If G is a Lie group acting smoothly on R^n, then the orbits will be immersed submanifolds.

4. Jun 17, 2010 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The orbit has the same group structure as G does by multiplication [tex]gx \cdot hx = (gh)x[/tex] and the obvious isomorphism [tex] g \mapsto gx[/tex]. So this means that your group G has to be a manifold. I'm guessing you'll want the multiplication to be continuous under the topology of the manifold or something, I'll have to think about it

EDIT: Woops, not an isomorphism,. That's what happens when you use the word obvious.

Ok after thinking about this for a bit, I have to ask: did you perhaps want G to act linearly on the vector space?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  5. Jun 22, 2010 #4
    Uhm...Sorry, could you please specify what does "to act linearly" mean?
    Thanks

6. Jun 22, 2010 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every element of G is a linear map, so along with the normal group action rules you have

[tex]g \cdot (\alpha x + \beta y) = \alpha g \cdot x + \beta g \cdot y[/tex]

Otherwise the fact that we're living in a vector space is a happy coincidence and has very little bearing on the problem

7. Jun 22, 2010 #6
    Ok. I got it, so yes...the group has to act linearly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook