1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question + Problem on Collision/momentum

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    1. A block of mass 1.3kg is resting at the base of a frictionless 40-degree ramp. A bullet of mass 50g is traveling parallel to the ramp's surface at 250 m/s. It collides with the block, enters it, and exits the other side at 100 m/s. How far up the ramp will the block travel?

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7883/60347116.png [Broken]

2. M1V1+M2V2=M1V1'+M2V2' to solve for velocity. sumFx=M*A to find acceleration, and V'^2=V^2 +2adX, V = initial velocity, V' = final velocity, dX = delta or change in distance, and a = acceleration

3. So first we need to find the velocity of the block, so we use the first equation (M1V1+M2V2=M1V1'+M2V2' ) to get: (0.05)(250)+(1.3)(0) = (0.05)(100)+(1.3)(V2'), solving it gives us V2'=5.7m/s

We then use this velocity as the initial because the block starts moving up the ramp. It will stop on the ramp, so final velocity V' = 0 m/s. We have to find the acceleration, and to make this easier we can make the problem one demensional. We set the ramp's surface as the X-axis and then find find Wx (force due to gravity pushing the block down the ramp). The weight = (1.3+0.05)(9.8)= 13.23. I set the problem so moving up the ramp is in the positive direction. so the summation problem looks like -Wx=M*A. I can now solve for acceleration as (-13.23(sin(40)))/1.35 = a = -6.29. We have a negative acceleration because gravity is pushing the opposite direction. So now that i have V, V', and a, i can use the equation V'^2=V^2+2adX to get 0=5.7^2+2(-6.29)dX dX=2.58m

The answer key shows the answer to be 2.65, so is this due to rounding or a problem during my steps?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It's roundoff error--your method is fine.
    Recalculate that speed. (Don't round off until the very last step in your calculations.)

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3
    Thanks Doc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook