Question: Quantum Dot Laser - Energy Band

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy band diagram of quantum dot lasers and the effect of quantum confinement on the energy gap. The speaker raises a question about the energy gap of a quantum dot being smaller than the quantum well, despite being made of the same material. The other person explains that this is due to the exciton binding energy, which takes into account the stronger confinement and increased Coulomb interaction between electron and hole.
ulver48
Hello

I am new here, so it's nice to meet you. I study quantum dot lasers and there is something I don't understand about the energy band diagram. Quantum dots are formed with the Stranski- Krastanov method. For example small InGaAs islands of quantum dots are created on a substrate of InGaAs which behaves as a quantum well . The resulting band diagram is shown in the following picture.

U6NeSr3.png

I also know that due to quantum confinement the energy gap of a material gets bigger. So if the InGaAs quantum well has a smaller energy gap than the quantum dot due to quantum confinement , why does it's energy gap in the above picture look bigger than the energy gap of the quantum dot ? Shouldn't the energy gap of the quantum dot be larger due to the relation below if the quantum dot and the quantum well are made from the same stuff? Maybe I don't understand band diagrams very well. Thanks for your time.
X7hm9MV.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I think that the quantum dot consists of InAs which has a lower energy gap than the InGaAs of the wetting layer, so that's the reason why that happens.

No, the wetting Layer also consists of InAs. It is the remainder of the thin InAs sheet, which did not form QDs. You may treat it as somehow similar to a QW, though.

However, you have neglected the exciton binding energy. While stronger confinement will increase the kinetic energy terms, the Coulomb interaction between electron and hole will increase as well due to their short separation and therefore the binding energy will increase. These effects compete and the sum of both terms determines the ground state energy of the QD.

1. What is a quantum dot laser?

A quantum dot laser is a type of laser that uses quantum dots, which are tiny semiconductor particles, as the active medium to produce coherent light. It is a compact and efficient laser that can emit light at specific wavelengths.

2. How does a quantum dot laser work?

A quantum dot laser works by exciting electrons within the quantum dots with an external energy source, such as electricity or light. When these electrons return to their ground state, they emit photons, which then bounce back and forth between the mirrors of the laser cavity, producing a coherent beam of light.

3. What are the advantages of using a quantum dot laser?

Quantum dot lasers have several advantages over traditional lasers. They have a higher efficiency, which means they require less energy to operate. They also have a higher tolerance for temperature fluctuations, making them more stable. Additionally, quantum dot lasers can emit light at a wider range of wavelengths, making them useful for a variety of applications.

4. What are the potential applications of quantum dot lasers?

Quantum dot lasers have a wide range of potential applications, including telecommunications, data storage, medical imaging, and laser printing. They are also used in consumer electronics, such as DVD players and laser pointers.

5. What are the current challenges in developing quantum dot lasers?

One of the main challenges in developing quantum dot lasers is achieving a high level of control over the size and shape of the quantum dots. This is necessary to control the wavelengths of light that the laser can emit. Another challenge is finding ways to integrate quantum dot lasers into existing technologies and devices, as well as developing methods for mass production.