Questions about a projection operator in the representation theoy of groups

In summary: Thanks again!In summary, D(g) is a representation of a group denoted by g, and it is reducible if it has an invariant subspace. The condition for this is that the action of any D(g) on any vector in the subspace is still in the subspace, and this can be written as PD(g)P=D(g)P for all g in G. Additionally, this condition can be simplified to D(g)P=P for all g. However, this may not always hold true and is not necessary for D(g) to be an irreducible representation. This concept is discussed in "Lie Algebras in Particle Physics, second edition" and is important in the study of Lie algebra.
bobydbcn
[tex]D(g)[/tex] is a representaiton of a group denoted by [tex]g[/tex]. The representaion is recucible if it has an invariant subspace, which means that the action of any [tex]D(g)[/tex] on any vector in the subspace is still in the subspace. In terms of a projection operator [tex]P[/tex] onto the subspace this condition can be written as
[tex]PD(g)P=D(g)P~~~~~\forall~g\inG[/tex].
And furthermore the conditon can be converted into
[tex]D(g)P=P~~~~~\forall~g[/tex].
I don't know why the complex condition can be converted into the short and simple one. Can you tell me, thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure about this? Your two equations imply:

PD(g)P = P

which means that D(g) acts as the identity on the subspace defined by P...

I agree with your first equation. It says that application of D(g) on an element in the subspace doesn't take you outside the subspace.

But the second one looks fishy to me. It says that D(g) acts as the identity on the subspace. This is not necessary for D(g) to be an irreducible representation that acts nontrivially on the subspace defined by P.

Or am I just too tired to think straight? That may well be the case, since it's 04 o'clock right now.

Torquil

Torquil is right. The "short and simple one" can't be right. Since Pv=v for all vectors in the subspace, you'd get v=Pv=D(g)Pv=D(g)v for all v in the subspace. Perhaps you meant to write PD(g)=D(g)?

Plus, don't call D(g) a representation. D is the representation, D(g) is a linear operator. This is like calling f(x) a function, when in fact f is the function and f(x) is a number.

Fredrik said:
Torquil is right. The "short and simple one" can't be right. Since Pv=v for all vectors in the subspace, you'd get v=Pv=D(g)Pv=D(g)v for all v in the subspace. Perhaps you meant to write PD(g)=D(g)?

Plus, don't call D(g) a representation. D is the representation, D(g) is a linear operator. This is like calling f(x) a function, when in fact f is the function and f(x) is a number.

Now I get the answer.As we know, the condition [tex]PD(g)P=D(g)P[/tex] is a general one. But we deduce from the special one which is [tex]D(g)P=P[/tex] to the general one. Let me do it.
Becuase [tex]P[/tex] is a projection operator, we can get [tex]PP=P[/tex].
Subtituting [tex]D(g)P=P[/tex] into the above equation, we get
[tex]PD(g)P=D(g)P[/tex].
So we get the conclusion that [tex]D(g)P=P[/tex] is also a condtion, but rather abstract. Thanks a lot!

torquil said:
Are you sure about this? Your two equations imply:

PD(g)P = P

which means that D(g) acts as the identity on the subspace defined by P...

I agree with your first equation. It says that application of D(g) on an element in the subspace doesn't take you outside the subspace.

But the second one looks fishy to me. It says that D(g) acts as the identity on the subspace. This is not necessary for D(g) to be an irreducible representation that acts nontrivially on the subspace defined by P.

Or am I just too tired to think straight? That may well be the case, since it's 04 o'clock right now.

Torquil
Thanks a lot! I get the right answer. Confer to my above reply.

D(g)P=P is true if and only if D(g)v=v for all v in the subspace. But PD(g)P=D(g)P is always true. So the derivation is pretty meaningless, especially considering that PD(g)P=D(g)P is very easy to prove even without that other equation.

Where did you find these equations?

Fredrik said:
D(g)P=P is true if and only if D(g)v=v for all v in the subspace. But PD(g)P=D(g)P is always true. So the derivation is pretty meaningless, especially considering that PD(g)P=D(g)P is very easy to prove even without that other equation.

Where did you find these equations?

I find it from the best book about lie algebra, which is called "Lie Algebras in Particle Physics, second edition", page 5. I advise you to have a look at it. Maybe it is easy for you. From your reply, I can deduce that you are really knowlegeable. Thank you.

I had a look at the book. He's saying that D(g)P=P for all g in G, for a specific G, a specific D and a specific P (G=Z3, D is given by 1.5 and P is given by 1.12), and he also says that the restriction of D(g) to the invariant subspace is the identity, which is what Torquil and I have been saying.

Fredrik said:
I had a look at the book. He's saying that D(g)P=P for all g in G, for a specific G, a specific D and a specific P (G=Z3, D is given by 1.5 and P is given by 1.12), and he also says that the restriction of D(g) to the invariant subspace is the identity, which is what Torquil and I have been saying.

Thank you very much! I will go to study lie algebra. This friday, I had seen Leggett who 2003 nobel prize. I am so happy.

1. What is a projection operator in the representation theory of groups?

A projection operator is a mathematical tool used in the representation theory of groups to decompose a larger representation into smaller irreducible representations. It essentially "projects" out certain components of a representation, leaving behind a smaller, simpler representation.

2. How is a projection operator defined?

A projection operator is defined as a linear operator that, when applied to a vector, gives back a vector that is in the same subspace as the original vector. In other words, it maps a vector onto itself or a subspace of itself.

3. What is the significance of projection operators in representation theory?

Projection operators play a crucial role in the study of representations of groups, as they allow for the decomposition of a representation into irreducible representations. This decomposition is important because it reveals the underlying structure of a representation and makes it easier to analyze and understand.

4. How are projection operators related to group characters?

Projection operators are closely related to group characters, which are functions that assign a complex number to each group element. In fact, the projection operator for a given irreducible representation is proportional to the character for that representation. This connection allows for the use of projection operators in the calculation of group characters.

5. Can projection operators be used in other areas of mathematics or science?

Yes, projection operators have applications in various fields such as linear algebra, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They are also commonly used in data analysis and machine learning, where they are used to reduce the dimensionality of data and extract important features.