Questions about DNA, biology, genetics and genealogy tests

• Thread starter timeuser84
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Is there any DNA, biology, genetics and genealogy tests that i can take to find out what i am supposed to do naturally OR what I am naturally made for? for example, my sexuality or being straight, bisexual, gay. If yes, what do these tests tell me about my DNA, biology and/or genes? Even if its no, what do these tests reveal to me about my DNA, biology, genetics and/or genealogy?

Answers and Replies

jim mcnamara
Mentor
Ancestry.com, and more to your point, sites like 23and Me maintain databases on this type of information. 23 and Me emails me with new updates on some genetic tendencies/diseases. Periodically the site asks me to fill out questionaires on diseases I may or may not have been diagnosed for.

And they both definitely show your genealogy -Ancestry is much more oriented to that scope on a very personal level. My wife played the Ancestry game and found some cousins she did not know about, for example.

Send your spit to both sites, get the tests done.

Please note carefully so we do not go off the deep end in this thread and have to close it:
There is a concept called the Heredity Environment Interaction. Epigenetics is one aspect. And there are studies on identical twins (two humans who start life with exactly the same DNA) that support the hypothesis.

What it means in plain English: Heredity does not 100% control the outcomes for humans. The environment also impacts them. DNA is not absolute destiny in every possible instance.

Example: identical twins.
One smoked for many years, and had a lot of serious diseases before she died of cancer. The other non-smoking twin, AFAIK, is still alive today and did not have those problems. Or cancer.

To my knowledge, sexual orientation in the sense you mean, does not have a strong genetic component, so it cannot be "genetically tested for". The link below says it can vary in one individual over a lifetime, as well.
If someone knows more that would be great.

Study abstract:
Genetic and environmental influences on sexual orientation and its correlates in an Australian twin sample.

By Bailey, J. Michael,Dunne, Michael P.,Martin, Nicholas G.

Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol 78(3), Mar 2000, 524-536

Abstract
The authors recruited twins systematically from the Australian Twin Registry and assessed their sexual orientation and 2 related traits: childhood gender nonconformity and continuous gender identity. Men and women differed in their distributions of sexual orientation, with women more likely to have slight-to-moderate degrees of homosexual attraction, and men more likely to have high degrees of homosexual attraction. Twin concordances for non-heterosexual orientation were lower than in prior studies. Univariate analyses showed that familial factors were important for all traits, but were less successful in distinguishing genetic from shared environmental influences. Only childhood gender nonconformity was significantly heritable for both men and women. Multivariate analyses suggested that the causal architecture differed between men and women, and, for women, provided significant evidence for the importance of genetic factors to the traits' covariation. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2016 APA, all rights reserved)

Last edited:
Likes atyy, russ_watters and BillTre