Questions about oxygen level in humans

• Thread starter jnimagine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxygen
In summary, the partial pressure of oxygen does not affect the % of hemoglobin bound with oxygen, and the statement that 25% of oxygen in human arterial blood is consumed by tissue metabolism is true.
jnimagine
1. The % of hemoglobin bound with Oxygen is different at high and low carbon dioxide concentrations when the partial pressure of O2 equals 0mm Hg
True or false??
This should be false right...? if partial pressure is 0... Hb can't bind to any oxygen in the first place... is my reasoning correct?

2. 25% oxygen in human arterial blood consumed by tissue metabolism
True or false
i'm not sure if it's actually 25%... :S

I would greatly appreciate any help!
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
jnimagine said:
1. The % of hemoglobin bound with Oxygen is different at high and low carbon dioxide concentrations when the partial pressure of O2 equals 0mm Hg
True or false??
This should be false right...? if partial pressure is 0... Hb can't bind to any oxygen in the first place... is my reasoning correct?

True or false
i'm not sure if it's actually 25%... :S

I would greatly appreciate any help!
Thank you!

Yes, good enough for resting conditions. Good simple explanations in here http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/301notes6.htm

Q1 reasoning is correct, you must be up against a miscopying or misprint or something. Knowing that you can probably work out what is meant.

1. What is the normal oxygen level in humans?

The normal oxygen level in humans is typically between 95-100%. This can vary slightly depending on age, health status, and altitude.

2. How is oxygen level measured in humans?

Oxygen level in humans is measured using a device called a pulse oximeter. This device measures the oxygen saturation in the blood by shining a light through the skin and measuring the amount of oxygen in the red blood cells.

3. What happens if the oxygen level in humans is too low?

If the oxygen level in humans is too low, it can lead to a condition called hypoxia. Symptoms of hypoxia include shortness of breath, confusion, and fatigue. In severe cases, it can lead to organ damage or even death.

4. Can oxygen levels in humans be increased?

Yes, oxygen levels in humans can be increased by providing supplemental oxygen through an oxygen mask or nasal cannula. This is often used in medical settings for individuals with low oxygen levels or respiratory conditions.

5. What factors can affect the oxygen level in humans?

Several factors can affect the oxygen level in humans, including altitude, lung health, and underlying medical conditions. Smoking, pollution, and exposure to toxins can also impact oxygen levels in the body.