Questions about Zhumell 3x Barlow for 12" Dobsonian Telescope

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter NerfMonkey
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
NerfMonkey
Messages
36
Reaction score
1
Sorry to be starting a new topic yet again, hope I don't look like a post whore:

I'm thinking about buying this barlow but first I have some questions.

1) Will I be sacrificing a lot of image quality (if any) in using a 3x barlow? My scope is a 12" Dob.
2) Will the barlow simply triple the size of the image I see without it, or will it make other things visible that weren't before?
3) Is it really worth it to buy a 3x barlow rather than a 2x?

Thanks.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
You need to think about your current EP line-up. I chose my EPs based partly on my choice of Barlows. If you have a 2X and a 1.5x, you've got a real mix-up depending on what EPs you choose. Make up a little spread-sheet of the available magnifications. Remember that some EPs have pretty nice eye-relief, and that this wonderful feature is still available when you've got the EP stacked in a Barlow. It makes a difference.