Quick and easy way to measure magnication of a concave mirror

In summary, a parabolic mirror will allow you to focus an object up to 500mm away, providing a magnification of 5.0.
Lighting_man
Hi,

We're offered shaving mirrors by suppliers and sometimes their claims to the magnification are doubtful.

I don't wish to upset any customers by giving incorrect information.

So is there a practical way in which I can test the magnification myself? i.e. measuring the distance of the bulge inward compared with the diameter of the glass?

Please be aware that I do not have a whole host of equipment (no flux capacitor etc) but have some accurate rules and a digital caliper.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Doing a quick google turns up

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/CLass/refln/u13l3e.html
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/class/refln/u13l3f.html

It looks like as a test, you can place an object at distance X. Move the mirror away until no image appears. This is your focal length.

With the focal length and the actual objects distance away, you can calculate the image distance by:
[tex]
\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{d_o} + \frac{1}{d_i} [/tex]
Where o indicates object, i is image, and f is the focal length. Magnification is then:
[tex]
M = -\frac{d_i}{d_o}[/tex]

OK, I think I've found another way. From the Wikipedia page for focal length http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length, we have the focal length as a function of the radius of curvature:
[tex]
f = -\frac{R}{2}[/tex]
So, assuming you have a spherical mirror, I 'think' here's what can be done geometrically.

Measure the arc length of the mirror (l), along with the diameter (D) (as you are calling it) and the depth (t) of the mirror. The "angle" of the mirror can be found by
[tex]
\theta = \arctan\frac{t}{D/2}[/tex]

Nope...better yet, some more Google (God bless it) shows that this "depth" of mirror is referred to as the sagitta. It is related to the "diameter" and radius by:
[tex]
t = r - \sqrt{r^2 - (D/2)^2}[/tex]

Therefore, the radius of the curve is related as:
[tex]
r = \frac{s^2 + (D/2)^2}{2s}[/tex]

From there, divide by 2 to get focal length, then relate by approximate distance of object as mentioned to get magnification...whew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow!

Okay so if the diameter of the mirror is 200mm (a 100mm radius)

and the sagitta is 10mm and the glass is parabolic.

Oh I'm pretty poor at brackets

Any chance of a more layman version?

You could use the same measurement system as is used by eyeglass manufacturers. A one-diopter lens will focus the Sun to a point in one meter. A four-diopter lens will focus the sun to a point in 1/4 meter, or about 10 inches. I suspect your shaving mirror will focus the Sun to a point in about 10 inches, hence four diopters.
Bob S

If your mirror is parabolic, the equation is even easier.
[tex]r = \frac{(D/2)^2}{2s}[/tex]
So, plugging in gives you a radius of curvature:
[tex]r = \frac{100mm}{2*10mm} = 500mm[/tex]

The focal length is then 250mm. If we assume that the mirror is held 200mm away from the object, then:
[tex]
\frac{1}{250mm} = \frac{1}{200mm} + \frac{1}{d_i}[/tex]
or:
[tex]d_i = 1000mm \rightarrow M = 5.0[/tex]

...I think...

What is a concave mirror?

A concave mirror is a type of curved mirror that is curved inward, similar to the shape of a spoon. It is used to reflect light and can form either real or virtual images depending on the position of the object in relation to the mirror.

What is magnification and why is it important?

Magnification is the ratio of the size of an image to the size of the object being observed. It is important because it allows scientists to measure the apparent size of an object and compare it to its actual size. This can help in determining the properties and characteristics of the object being observed.

What is the best way to measure the magnification of a concave mirror?

The most common and easy way to measure the magnification of a concave mirror is by using the formula: M = -v/u, where M is the magnification, v is the image distance, and u is the object distance. This formula can be applied to both real and virtual images formed by a concave mirror.

Can magnification be negative for a concave mirror?

Yes, magnification can be negative for a concave mirror. This means that the image formed is inverted and smaller than the object. This occurs when the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror's surface, resulting in a virtual image.

Are there any other methods to measure the magnification of a concave mirror?

Yes, there are other methods to measure the magnification of a concave mirror, such as using a ruler to measure the size of the object and its image, and then calculating the magnification using the formula M = hi/ho, where hi is the image height and ho is the object height. However, the formula M = -v/u is the most accurate and commonly used method.