Quick Braket notation question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of expectation value in quantum mechanics, specifically the expectation value of the operator J_z. The expectation value is defined as the average result in a series of measurements on identically prepared systems and is represented mathematically as \langle A \rangle = \sum_a P(a)a = \sum_a a|\langle a|\psi\rangle|^2 = \sum_a \langle a|\psi \rangle \langle \psi|A|a\rangle = \mbox{Tr}(\rho A) = \langle \psi| \Big(\sum_a|a \rangle \langle a| \Big) A |\psi \rangle = \langle \psi|A|\psi\rangle. It
Crosshash
I'm a complete noob with Braket and I've only just started getting to grips with it.

For completeness' sake though (from the book I'm currently reading), I can't seem to find a definition for:

[itex]\langle J_z \rangle[/itex]

Would this just be the "magnitude" of [itex]J_z[/itex]?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's an expectation value, i.e. the average result in a (long) series of measurements of Jz on identically prepared systems.
Fredrik said:
...the average result in a series of measurements of A on identically prepared systems is

[tex]\langle A\rangle=\sum_a P(a)a=\sum_a a|\langle a|\psi\rangle|^2=\sum_a\langle a|\psi\rangle\langle\psi|A|a\rangle=\mbox{Tr}(\rho A)[/tex] ...and also [tex]=\langle\psi|\Big(\sum_a|a\rangle\langle a|\Big)A|\psi\rangle=\langle\psi|A|\psi\rangle[/tex]
Note that it depends on what state the system is in.

This post should be useful if you're learning bra-ket notation.

Actually it's the expectation value of [itex]J_z[/itex] - that is,
[tex]\langle J_z \rangle = \langle \psi \vert J_z \vert \psi \rangle[/tex]
In order to actually evaluate that expression, you would have to have some quantum state [itex]\vert\psi\rangle[/itex], since the expectation value of any operator depends on the quantum state.

Ah crud, I completely forgot that's how you write Expectation value.

so, just to confirm I have a grip on this,

[itex]\langle x \rangle = \langle \psi \vert {x} \vert \psi \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^* x \psi dx [/itex]

Is that right? Assuming the limits are from infinity to minus infinity.

Thanks

1. What is Quick Braket notation?

Quick Braket notation is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent the state of a quantum system. It uses a combination of angle brackets and vertical bars to represent the quantum state and its corresponding mathematical operators.

2. How is Quick Braket notation different from traditional notation?

Quick Braket notation is different from traditional notation in that it is specifically designed for use in quantum mechanics. It uses a combination of angle brackets and vertical bars, whereas traditional notation typically uses parentheses and other symbols.

3. What are the benefits of using Quick Braket notation?

One benefit of using Quick Braket notation is that it allows for a more compact and concise representation of quantum states and operators. It also makes it easier to perform mathematical operations and calculations on quantum systems.

4. Can Quick Braket notation be used for any quantum system?

Yes, Quick Braket notation can be used for any quantum system. It is a universal notation that can be applied to any quantum state or operator, regardless of its complexity or dimensionality.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using Quick Braket notation?

One potential drawback of using Quick Braket notation is that it may be unfamiliar to those who are not familiar with quantum mechanics. It also requires a solid understanding of the underlying principles and concepts of quantum mechanics in order to use it effectively.