1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick help How much acid do I need to add?

1. May 19, 2007 #1
    Chemistry questions

Q1: Calculate the amount of 6M HCl that would be required to neutralize and acidify (to ~pH2) the reaction mixture of 1g Benzaldehyde and 2mL 10M KOH.
    I think this is the chemical equation:
    Benzaldehyde + KOH + H+ -> Benzyl Alcohol + Benzoic Acid

Q2: 64% yield of 1,1 - diphenylethanol and a 16% yield of biphenyl is isolated from the complete reaction of 1.70g of acetophenone. Determine the masses of the two products. Also, why is there biphenyl in the product?

Q3: In the reaction of cyclohexylmagnesium bromine with butanone, the Grignard reagent was prepared from 6.0g of cyclohexyl bromide and was then treated with a solution of 3.9g butanone in 25mL of "wet " diethyl ether (the ether contains 1.0% of water (by mass)).
    i. Calculate the mass of cyclohexane that would be produced
    ii. Calculate the max. theoretical yield (in grams) of tertiary alcohol (corrected for loss due to cyclohexane formation).

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Q1) Write the reaction as two separate reactions. One for the Cannizzaro reaction and one for the neutralization. You will need to know the pKa of benzoic acid for this answer.

Q2) Unclear. Complete reaction between acetophenone and what? Is there a catalyst present?

Q3) Write down the equations of the reaction between to produce the grignard. Also the equations for reaction of the grignard with water and butanone.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?