1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Chemistry Lab] Isolation of Aldehyde and Carboxylic Acid

1. May 18, 2007 #1
    [Chemistry Lab] Cannnizzaro Reaction

Hi! I am having some questions about my chemistry lab.

In the lab we are given 1 of the 5 unknown aldehyde (benzaldehyde, anisaldehyde, nitrobenzaldehyde, chlorobenzaldehyde, and dimethoxybenzaldehyde) and reacts it with methanol and KOH to undergo Cannizzaro Reaction.

1) To calculate the amount of 6M HCL that need to neutralize and acidify (to ~pH 2) the reaction mixture once the reaction is complete.

2) A total of 3.12g of furfural was treated under Cannnizzaro conditions to produce 0.84g of furfural alcohol and 0.75g of furoic acid. What is the % Yield of each product.

For this question i got 26.37% for furfural alcohol and 20.61% furoic acid. I just want to confirm if i got it right.

3) After condensation, what are some good ways to isolate the alchohol and carboxylic acid products that are formed in the reaction?

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure that methanol was used in this "Cannizzaro" reaction? It sounds more like an aldol...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?