Quite a long 'bounds' question

• Thread starter Trail_Builder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bounds
The difference in volume is given by:D= (1/3)((x+1/2)^2(y+1/2)-(x-1/2)^2(y-1/2))In summary, the difference between the upper bound and lower bound of the volume of a pyramid with a square base of side length x and a vertical height of y, both measured to the nearest meter, is given by (1/3)((x+1/2)^2(y+1/2)-(x-1/2)^2(y-1/2)).
Trail_Builder
hope you can help with this question, its a gcse paper (16 year olds) and I think i may have either made a mistake, been doing it the wrong way, or simply found the answer but me being paranoid thinks the working is too long and answer not simple enough

thnx for the help

Homework Statement

The length of a side of the square base of a pyramid is x metres.
The vertical height is y metres.

Both measurements are correct to the nearest metre.

question) Find an expression for the difference between the upper bound and the lower bound of the volume of the pyramid.
Give your answer in its simplest form.

Homework Equations

volume of pyramid = (1/3)base x height

The Attempt at a Solution

my notation: (lb) means lower bound of, so (lb)y would mean the lower bound of y, and so on.

p.s. I know some (well alot) are redundant but I stuck them into make the workings easier to read. Also, i should really learn Latex but I havnt got round to yet so please try to read my non-latex stuck lol.

(lb)x = x - (1/2) x (1/10)x
(lb)x = x - (1/20)x
(lb)x = (19/20)x

therefore: (ub)x = (21/20)x
(lb)y = (19/20)y
(ub)y = (21/20)y

(lb)base = (lb)x^2
(lb)base = (19x/20)^2
therefore: (ub)base = (21x/20)^2

(lb)volume = (1/3) x (lb)b x (lb)h
v = (1/3) x (19x/20)^2 x (19y/20)

(ub)volume = (1/3) x (21x/20)^2 x (21y/20)

difference = (ub)vol - (lb)vol
d = (1/3) x (21x/20)^2 x (21y/20) - (1/3) x (19x/20)^2 x (19y/20)
d = (21y x (21x/20)^2)/60 - (19y x (19x/20)^2) /60
d = (21y x (21x/20)^2 - 19y x (19x/20)^2) /60

is this the simplest form? seem rather complex to me.

I tried factorising the brackets and doing all sorts but I couldn't get it any cleaner than this.

thnx for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Trail_Builder said:
hope you can help with this question, its a gcse paper (16 year olds) and I think i may have either made a mistake, been doing it the wrong way, or simply found the answer but me being paranoid thinks the working is too long and answer not simple enough

thnx for the help

Homework Statement

The length of a side of the square base of a pyramid is x metres.
The vertical height is y metres.

Both measurements are correct to the nearest metre.

question) Find an expression for the difference between the upper bound and the lower bound of the volume of the pyramid.
Give your answer in its simplest form.

Homework Equations

volume of pyramid = (1/3)base x height

The Attempt at a Solution

my notation: (lb) means lower bound of, so (lb)y would mean the lower bound of y, and so on.

p.s. I know some (well alot) are redundant but I stuck them into make the workings easier to read. Also, i should really learn Latex but I havnt got round to yet so please try to read my non-latex stuck lol.

(lb)x = x - (1/2) x (1/10)x
(lb)x = x - (1/20)x
(lb)x = (19/20)xp
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not use "x" to represent the length of the base AND as a "times" sign. If you must use a times sign (rather than just "xy") use *. Also use ( ). I THINK you mean (x- 1/2) (1/10)x.

Now, the problem asked about the volume of a pyramid which you say is given by V= (1/3)base * height or, here V= (1/3)xy. Actually, that's impossible- it has the wrong units. If x and y are measured in meters, then xy has units of "square meters", not "cubic meters" which it would have to be in order to give volume. Are you sure it's not (1/3) base2*height?
Are you saying here that the largest x can be is (x+ 1/2)(1/10)x? Where is that 1/10 from? If a length, x, is measured "to the nearest meter", the something as high as 6.4999999 meters would be given as 6 meters. "x meters, to the nearest meter" could be as large as x+ 1/2 meters.

therefore: (ub)x = (21/20)x
(lb)y = (19/20)y
(ub)y = (21/20)y
Same for y: the largest it could be (upperbound) is y+ 1/2, smallest (lowerbound) is y- 1/2.

(lb)base = (lb)x^2
(lb)base = (19x/20)^2
therefore: (ub)base = (21x/20)^2

(lb)volume = (1/3) x (lb)b x (lb)h
v = (1/3) x (19x/20)^2 x (19y/20)

(ub)volume = (1/3) x (21x/20)^2 x (21y/20)

difference = (ub)vol - (lb)vol
d = (1/3) x (21x/20)^2 x (21y/20) - (1/3) x (19x/20)^2 x (19y/20)
d = (21y x (21x/20)^2)/60 - (19y x (19x/20)^2) /60
d = (21y x (21x/20)^2 - 19y x (19x/20)^2) /60

is this the simplest form? seem rather complex to me.
No only does it seem complex, it makes no sense to me!
The upperbound for the volume is (1/3)(x+1/2)2(y+ 1/2) and the lowerbound is (1/3)(x-1/2)2(y-1/2).

I tried factorising the brackets and doing all sorts but I couldn't get it any cleaner than this.

thnx for your help

o rite thnx, i think i no where i might have gone wrong then, will go back and try again, thnx

HallsofIvy said:
Now, the problem asked about the volume of a pyramid which you say is given by V= (1/3)base * height or, here V= (1/3)xy.

'base' as used in this formula is shorthand for 'area of the base' and so is x^2

Hi I got everything up to the last part and figured out that

d(difference between ub and lb) = 1/3(x+1/2)^2(y+1/2) - 1/3(x-1/2)^2(y-1/2)

but I'm not quite sure how to simplify it.

Would it require me to expand the brackets then factorise? (although that seems strangely long for a 3 mark question)

Would it involve moving parts of the equation across the equal sign?

or is it incredibly simple and I'm just missing something badly...

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

any ideas, anyone?

edit: is there any chance that this is the answer?

Last edited:
Yes, exactly as shown by HallsofIvy above

1. What does the term "bounds" mean in this context?

The term "bounds" refers to the range or limits within which something can occur or be true. In the context of a question, it typically refers to the parameters or conditions that are being considered or evaluated.

2. How would you define a "long" question?

A "long" question can be defined as one that requires a significant amount of information, analysis, and/or explanation in order to fully answer it. This can include questions that involve multiple steps, complex concepts, or a large amount of data.

3. Can you provide an example of a "bounds" question?

Sure, an example of a "bounds" question could be: "What is the maximum height that a human can jump from without sustaining a life-threatening injury?" In this case, the bounds would include factors such as the height of the jump, the physical condition of the person, and the type of landing surface.

4. How do you approach answering a "bounds" question?

When answering a "bounds" question, it is important to carefully consider all the parameters or conditions that are being considered. This may involve researching relevant information, analyzing data, and using critical thinking skills to come to a well-supported conclusion.

5. Are there any limitations to using "bounds" in scientific research?

Yes, there can be limitations to using "bounds" in scientific research. These limitations can include factors such as the accuracy and validity of the data being used, the assumptions or biases of the researcher, and the complexity of the topic being studied. It is important for scientists to acknowledge and address these limitations in their research.