R2D2 Visits Sick Kids - CNN Video

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kids
In summary, R2D2 was a replica that was used to provide entertainment and comfort to pediatric patients at EMMC.
Physics news on Phys.org
This is nice.

I worked a theatre as a teen and heard that apparently Disney took action against that theatre I worked in because the manager had taken the initiative to give free tickets to a group of disadvantaged kids to the first showing of a Disney film.

Just one of the many instances that have turned me off from the supplicating gestures of corporations.

Original WABI clip:

http://www.wabi.tv/news/13138/r2d2-visits-young-patients-at-emmc

Star Wars was released in 1977, amazingly 33 years ago. Some of those kids' parents weren't even born when it came out.

There, now that you're feeling good and old...carry on.

Note, though, that R2D2 was in the recent prequels.

...The video says it's a radio controlled replica, not the real R2D2. Ripoff.

russ_watters said:
Note, though, that R2D2 was in the recent prequels.

...The video says it's a radio controlled replica, not the real R2D2. Ripoff.
It's a locally-made replica meant to provide entertainment and comfort to kids in the pediatric ward of EMMC. When a child is there for radiotherapy or chemotherapy they can be cheered up by the antics of the replica. Or is your heart made of stone?... Catch a clue. The guy is trying to do good for kids who are going through some rough times.

Edit: Do you think that R2D2 in the movies was an actual robot that was not radio controlled? I didn't think so, but I need to check.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Edit: Do you think that R2D2 in the movies was an actual robot that was not radio controlled? I didn't think so, but I need to check.
:bugeye:

Meh - I'm not real impressed by R2D2 anyway. I never understood why such a supposedly advanced robot could be so clumsy and not even have a speech processor with Anthony Daniels' voice. And no picture messaging? I mean, shouldn't they have picked-up those issues during beta testing? I wouldn't buy one.

Last edited:
Nice story turbo. Hopefully, the studios won't give him any trouble over it.
turbo-1 said:

At times, it was radio controlled, worn and moved using wires. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R2-D2#Production"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of R2D2 visiting sick kids?

The purpose of R2D2 visiting sick kids is to bring joy and happiness to children who are hospitalized and facing difficult health challenges. R2D2's visit serves as a fun and uplifting distraction for these young patients.

2. How does R2D2 visit sick kids?

R2D2 visits sick kids at various hospitals and healthcare facilities. The visits are coordinated by the Star Wars charity organization, the 501st Legion, and local chapters of the organization. R2D2 is transported to the hospitals and interacts with the children, playing games and taking photos with them.

3. Who benefits from R2D2's visits?

The primary beneficiaries of R2D2's visits are the sick children who are able to enjoy a special and exciting experience during their hospital stay. However, the visits also benefit the families and healthcare staff, providing them with a heartwarming and memorable moment.

4. How often does R2D2 visit sick kids?

R2D2 visits sick kids on a regular basis, with the frequency varying depending on the location and availability of the 501st Legion and local chapters. In some cases, R2D2 may visit a hospital multiple times a year, while in other cases it may be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for the children.

5. How can I support R2D2's visits to sick kids?

If you would like to support R2D2's visits to sick kids, you can donate to the 501st Legion or volunteer with your local chapter. You can also spread awareness about the organization and their mission to bring joy to children facing difficult health challenges. Additionally, you can reach out to hospitals and healthcare facilities in your area to inquire about setting up a visit from R2D2.