RA and declination of Sun & phase of Moon program

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to write a fortran program that can calculate the right ascension and declination of the sun, as well as the phase of the moon, based on a given date and time. The person asking for help is looking for references and algorithms to assist in writing the program. Jan Meeus' books, "Astronomical Formulae for Calculators" and "Astronomical Algorithms" are recommended as helpful resources. The conversation also mentions the need to make epoch corrections to match the current ephemeris.
Jadaav
Hello there,

I want to write a fortran program which gives me the right ascension and declination of the sun and the phase of the moon when a date and time is given.

I just want to know how to write it and if there are any references that can help me.

Thanks,
Jadaav.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Jan Meeus wrote several small books on Astronomic calculations for everyone. The first book was based on using desktop calculators, later on he provided another with algorithms.

Astronomical Formulae for Calculators
Astronomical Algorithms

Basically you want the algorithm used to determine when sunrise will occur at a given latitude, longitude, and date. This can be simplified to solve for the position of the sun at a given epoch time, i.e., see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_day.

Phases of the moon is the both books, too. You have to make epoch corrections to match the current ephemeris, just like above.

Likes Jadaav
Thanks Jim. I've taken a look at the second book and it seems to be really interesting. I've found what I was looking for.

I'll try to do the programming bit and I'll you know.

1. What is the RA and declination of the Sun?

The right ascension (RA) of the Sun is the celestial equivalent of longitude on Earth. It is measured in hours, minutes, and seconds and represents the Sun's position on the celestial sphere. Declination is the celestial equivalent of latitude and represents the Sun's position north or south of the celestial equator. Both the RA and declination of the Sun change throughout the year due to the Earth's orbit around the Sun.

2. How is the RA and declination of the Sun calculated?

The RA and declination of the Sun can be calculated using complex astronomical equations and data from various astronomical tables. However, in modern times, these calculations are typically done using computer programs and software. The calculations take into account the Earth's orbit, the tilt of its axis, and the Sun's position in the sky relative to the Earth.

3. What is the significance of the RA and declination of the Sun?

The RA and declination of the Sun have significant astronomical and navigational implications. They are used to determine the Sun's position in the sky at a specific time and location, which is important for celestial navigation and for predicting sunrise and sunset times. These coordinates also play a role in determining the length of daylight hours and the changing of seasons throughout the year.

4. What is the phase of the Moon program?

The phase of the Moon program is a computer program that calculates and displays the current phase of the Moon. This can be helpful for planning outdoor activities, such as stargazing or lunar photography, as well as for religious and cultural purposes. The program takes into account the Moon's orbit around the Earth and its illumination by the Sun to determine its current phase.

5. How accurate are RA and declination of the Sun and phase of the Moon programs?

RA and declination of the Sun and phase of the Moon programs are highly accurate, with most modern programs being accurate to within a few seconds or less. However, the accuracy may vary slightly depending on the source of the data and the specific calculations used. It is always recommended to use the most up-to-date and reliable sources for these coordinates and to double check the results with other sources when possible.