1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial force on a particle with circular motion

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    A particle of mass 0.014 kg is travelling on a radius 0.9m at a rotational velocity of 36+5*t rad.s-1.

How many revolutions does the particle go thorugh in 4.8 seconds? [revs]

What is the radial force on the particle at 4.8 seconds? [N] (Hint: consider directions)
    (question i'm stuck on)

What is the absolute magnitude of force on the particle at 4.8 seconds? [N]

We know that the radial acceleration = v^2/r

To find the amount of revolutions I simply integrated the rotational velocity with respect to time, and found that the particle rotated 230.4 radians or 36.69 revs.

The second question is the question that I seem to be getting wrong. The way I tried to solve it was by firstly finding the rotational velocity after 4.8 seconds:
    w = 36+5*4.8
    = 60 rad/s

thus we know that the translational velocity is:
    v= rw
    = 60*0.9
    = 54 m/s

we know that the radial acceleration, ra, can be defined by:
    ra = v^2/r
    = 54^2/0.9
    = 3240

thus the radial force, Fr, is:
    Fr = m*ra
    =0.014*3240
    =45.36 N

the above question i am getting wrong for some reason. any help would be appreciated

For the final question we know that the angular acceleration is 5 rad/s^2
    this means the linear acceleration of the particle is 4.5 m/s.

we know the translational force will be Ft=m*a
    Ft = 0.014*4.5
    = 0.063

So we can work out the total magnitude of the force like so:
    F_tot = sqrt(0.063^2+45.36^2)
    = 45.36

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

hi lee, welcome to physicsforums :)
    Your answer looks good to me. Maybe they also wanted the direction of the radial force at that time.

4. Oct 16, 2012 #3
    Thanks for answering, I think its got something to do with the consider directions hint, but im not sure what I've done wrong. I don't think they want the direction of the radial force because they didn't give a starting position for the particle, so we don't know the direction of the force.

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

ah, that's true, they don't give the starting position. Then maybe you are meant to give the direction of the radial force, compared to its direction at t=0 ? This is a bit of a stretch, but I can't imagine what else they want for the answer...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook