Radial function in Spherical potential well

Avodyne.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the condition for bound states in a spherical potential with a specific radial function and plotting the result. The solution involves solving a transcendental equation graphically or numerically by plotting the equations tan(ka) and k/lambda. The intersection point between these two functions is the answer.
Swatch

Homework Statement

A Spherical potential which is
0 for 0<r<a
Vo for r>a

Find the condition for bound states, for the radial function with l=0
Plot the result.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gotten the equation

- tan(ka)=k/lambda
where k is the wavenumber for the wave inside the well and lambda is the wavenumber for the wave outside the wave.
I know these kind of equation have to be solved graphically or numerically. I have a similar equation solved graphically in my textbook but I don't understand it. Can anyone please help me and give me a hint to how to solve this transcendental equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just have to plot the two equations tan(ka) and k/lambda in a single graph. The intersection point between the function tan(ka) and the straight line k/lambda is the answer you need.

Except it's not a straight line, because lambda depends on k.

I see. Thanks, Avodyne.

Then you have to plot of the graph of tan(ka) and k/lambda=k^2/2pi.

I see. Thanks

Last edited:

1. What is a radial function in a spherical potential well?

A radial function in a spherical potential well is a mathematical function that describes the behavior of a particle or system within a spherical potential well. It represents the radial component of the wave function, which describes the probability of finding the particle at a certain distance from the center of the potential well.

2. How is the radial function related to the energy levels in a spherical potential well?

The radial function is directly related to the energy levels in a spherical potential well. The number of nodes in the radial function corresponds to the number of energy levels, and the energy of each level is determined by the maximum value of the radial function at that level.

3. What is the role of the radial function in determining the stability of a particle in a spherical potential well?

The shape of the radial function determines the stability of a particle in a spherical potential well. If the radial function has a finite value at the boundary of the potential well, the particle is considered to be in a bound state and is stable within the well. If the radial function approaches zero at the boundary, the particle is considered to be in an unbound state and can escape the potential well.

4. How does the radial function change for different types of potentials?

The radial function can vary significantly for different types of potentials. For a spherical potential well, the radial function will have a specific form depending on the depth and shape of the well. For other types of potentials, such as a harmonic oscillator or a Coulomb potential, the radial function will have a different form and will be dependent on the specific potential parameters.

5. How do changes in the radial function affect the probability of finding the particle at a certain distance from the center of the potential well?

The radial function directly affects the probability of finding the particle at a certain distance from the center of the potential well. The higher the value of the radial function at a specific distance, the higher the probability of finding the particle at that distance. Changes in the shape or amplitude of the radial function will result in changes to the probability distribution of the particle within the potential well.