1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial part of wave function in respect to spherical harmonic

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a Wavefunction:
    [tex]\psi(x,y,z)=K(x+y+x^2-y^2)e^{-r/a}[/tex]
    Find expectation value of [tex] L^{2} , L_{z}^{2}, L_{x}^{2}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first step would be a rewriting a wavefunction in terms of spherical coordinates:
    [tex]\psi=Kr(\cos\phi \sin \theta + 2 \sin \phi \cos \theta +r(\cos^{2} \phi \sin^{2} \theta - \sin^{2} \phi \sin^{2} \theta )) [/tex]

My Question is : is it fair to skip the radial part and just forget about it. Normalize the Wavefunction for just the angular part , and then consider a mean values of Angular Momentum Operators ? Or should i normalize the wavefunction including r ? It bothers me because of the r squared in the equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can't neglect the radial functions.

4. Jan 8, 2012 #3
    Just to make it clear - i need to do all next steps with the radial part ?

5. Jan 8, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It depends what your next steps are. You eventually need to normalize the wave function, so you need to take into account the radial function somewhere along the way.

By the way, you seem to have dropped the exponential factor when you rewrote the function in terms of spherical coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook