Radiation Vectors: Wave Direction After Electron Energy Shift?

In summary, the direction of a photon emitted by an atom depends on the energy levels that the electron transitioned between. It is not emitted equally in all directions, but typically follows a "dipole" shape. This means that it has a specific direction rather than dissipating 360 degrees in 3D. Further study is needed to fully understand this concept and ask more informed questions.
jacassidy2
Hi, When a photon is emitted by an atom that has had an electron move energy levels, does the resultant wave dissipate 360 degrees in 3d or have a direction based on the movement of the electron. I'm thinking that my question reflects a lack of understanding of waves and forces.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Txs for the direction, Duck. I perused the link and recognized that I have a lot of study to accomplish before I can ask better question. If you have a summary explanation, please post it. Txs

Related to Radiation Vectors: Wave Direction After Electron Energy Shift?

1. What are radiation vectors?

Radiation vectors are mathematical representations of the direction and amplitude of electromagnetic waves, also known as radiation. They are used to describe the propagation of energy from a source, such as an electron, through space.

2. How does electron energy shift affect radiation vectors?

When an electron's energy changes, it causes a shift in the direction and amplitude of the radiation vector. This is due to the fact that the energy of the electron is directly related to the wavelength and frequency of the radiation it emits.

3. What factors influence the direction of radiation vectors?

The direction of radiation vectors is influenced by the direction of the electron's movement, the strength of the electric and magnetic fields, and the medium through which the radiation is traveling.

4. Are radiation vectors important in fields other than physics?

Yes, radiation vectors are important in many other fields such as telecommunications, engineering, and astronomy. They are used to study and manipulate electromagnetic radiation for various applications.

5. How are radiation vectors used in medical imaging?

In medical imaging, radiation vectors are used to create images of the body's internal structures by measuring the radiation emitted by different tissues. This allows for the diagnosis and treatment of various medical conditions, such as cancer.