Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiative transfer to space affected by atmosphere?

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm trying to model radiation losses from a flat surface facing the sky at night. If we ignore radiative absorption/emission in the atmosphere, the heat flux is the well-known

[tex]Q=\epsilon\sigma(T_s^4-T_\infty^4)[/tex]

where we have the emissivity, the S-B constant, the temperature of the surface, and where I would think [itex]T_\infty[/itex] is the effective temperature of outer space, 3K.

How does the presence of the atmosphere affect this model? How have other researchers dealt with this complication?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The IR transparency of the atmosphere is dependent on humidity. It would be a significant complication. I suppose you could get a reasonable estimate based on the view of earth down from the top: http://www.goes.noaa.gov/ECIR4.html

With a known surface temperature and a measured temperature through the atmosphere, you can estimate the effect of sky transparency.

4. Mar 6, 2008 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's pretty easy: the emissivity is a function of wavelength. Becasue of conservation of energy, the emissivity = absoprtion. The heat transfer equation simply turns into an integral over wavelength.

The atmospheric absoprtion depends on pretty much everything, there's good computational models (LOWTRAN/MODTRAN/HITRAN) out there, some of which are public domain.

5. Mar 6, 2008 #4

GT1

On most of the heat transfer calculations I've seen the sky temperature on a clear night was taken as 230K.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?