Radient energy vs nonradient energy

• Thread starter jsomers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: I'm not sure what you're asking. The Einstein field equations couple c and the stress-energy tensor: R_{\mu \nu} - {1 \over 2}g_{\mu \nu}\,R + g_{\mu \nu} \Lambda = {8 \pi G \over c^4} T_{\mu \nu}
jsomers
Hi People

I am brand new to these forums and brand new to phyics (wells its been about 4 years so its safe to say I have pretty much forgotten everything but the basics)

Anyhow I am just beginning my PhD in Genetics where I will be using Förster resonance energy transfer to investigate the assembly of particular proteins. In my quest to understand the physics behind this phenomenon I came across this diagram:

http://www.olympusmicro.com/primer/techniques/fluorescence/fret/images/fretintrofigure3.jpg

What I don't really understand from it is what is the difference between radiant energy and non-radiant energy.

Forgive me if this is very basic but google has been little help so i thought id ask here.

Thanks for your time.

Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
jsomers said:
What I don't really understand from it is what is the difference between radiant energy and non-radiant energy.

Energy transferred by photons (electromagnetic radiation) is a radiant energy transfer.

Energy transferred by resonance, or by kinetic energy going from one atom to another, is non-radiant energy transfer.

Cheers -- sylas

Wow that was simple, thanks for the speedy reply!

The transfer of energy does not invovle kinetic mechanisms, for FRET.

FRET is a non-radiant form of energy transfer by a dipole-dipole interaction. It's called non-radiant because there is no photon involved in the transfer of energy, only the evanescent (non-propagating) component of the electromagnetic field. This is why FRET experiments are sensitive to both separation distance and relative orientation of the two dipoles.

Andy Resnick said:
The transfer of energy does not invovle kinetic mechanisms, for FRET.

FRET is a non-radiant form of energy transfer by a dipole-dipole interaction. It's called non-radiant because there is no photon involved in the transfer of energy, only the evanescent (non-propagating) component of the electromagnetic field. This is why FRET experiments are sensitive to both separation distance and relative orientation of the two dipoles.

Ah. Thanks... and sorry if I lead jsomers up the garden path!

Yeah, I have heard there is a fair bit of information you can draw from the occurrence of FRET that's why I am sure i'll be inhabiting these forums for the next three to four years to try to gain a greater understanding of my experiments!

No stress sylas, you still provided me the answer to my question about radiant and non radiant. For a genetics crowd it is more then enough info.

On a some what similar note: The Einstein field equations couple c and the stress-energy tensor:

[tex]R_{\mu \nu} - {1 \over 2}g_{\mu \nu}\,R + g_{\mu \nu} \Lambda = {8 \pi G \over c^4} T_{\mu \nu}[/tex]

Does this not imply that gravity is a radiating field of a photonic nature? Otherwise why would c be a component?

Frank

Last edited:

What is the difference between radiant energy and non-radiant energy?

Radiant energy, also known as electromagnetic radiation, is a form of energy that travels through space in the form of waves. It includes visible light, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, and other types of radiation. Non-radiant energy, on the other hand, refers to energy that does not travel through space in the form of waves, such as thermal energy, chemical energy, and nuclear energy.

How does radiant energy transfer heat?

Radiant energy can transfer heat through a process called thermal radiation. This occurs when the electromagnetic waves of radiant energy are absorbed by an object, causing its molecules to vibrate and produce heat. This is the principle behind how the sun's radiant energy warms the Earth.

What are some examples of non-radiant energy?

Non-radiant energy can take many forms, such as thermal energy from a fire, chemical energy from food, and nuclear energy from a power plant. Other examples include mechanical energy from a moving object, electrical energy from a battery, and potential energy from an object at rest.

Can radiant energy be converted into non-radiant energy?

Yes, radiant energy can be converted into other forms of energy, including non-radiant energy. For example, solar panels convert sunlight (radiant energy) into electricity (non-radiant energy). Similarly, photosynthesis in plants converts radiant energy into chemical energy, which can then be used for growth and development.

What are the practical applications of radiant and non-radiant energy?

Radiant energy has many practical applications, such as in solar power, telecommunications, and medical imaging. Non-radiant energy is also widely used, including in heating and cooling systems, transportation, and electricity generation. Both types of energy play important roles in our daily lives and are essential for various industries and technologies.