Is Radio Shack's Liquidation Sale a Sign of Corporate Dominance in America?

In summary: RadioShack is filing for bankruptcy and is closing its stores. They are selling fixtures and equipment at reduced prices.
Physics news on Phys.org
I had one the kits with '100-in-1' electronic projects.

I remember buying electronic components at local store. That was before they got more into consumer electronics and telecommunications. I suspect they couldn't compete against Best Buy and others. Circuit City was another that couldn't compete.

Likes OmCheeto
The ink is on the paper.

http://radioshackcorporation.com/pdfs/Press-release%20.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
I had one the kits with '100-in-1' electronic projects.

I remember buying electronic components at local store. That was before they got more into consumer electronics and telecommunications. I suspect they couldn't compete against Best Buy and others. Circuit City was another that couldn't compete.

Best Buy has been circling the drain for a while. A lot of BB's traffic is people shopping for an item, so they go to the store to check it out and then buy the same item online from a different retailer.

In a similar vein, Staples made an offer this week to buy Office Depot, which just got through swallowing Office Max. A lot of consolidation going on in the brick & mortar retailers of office supplies & business electronics.

Where can I go now for car stereo?

Clearance sale at Radio Shack!

Last edited:
Hopefully the franchises will stay open. At least they have a few electronic components available.

http://radioshackcorporation.com/pdfs/RS-Store-Closure-List_020415.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes OmCheeto
dlgoff said:
At least they have a few electronic components available.
You know. For when that transistor blows on a Sunday morning.

nsaspook said:
Looks like one of the stores I use will say open. :approve:

Likes OmCheeto
http://www.wired.com/2015/02/radioshack-helped-build-silicon-valley/
In its heyday, RadioShack was so much more than a store — it was an art gallery, a museum, a school. “You didn’t really have really good electronics magazines full of what’s available,” Wozniak remembers. “You had a few catalogues that were full of things like walkie-talkies, but if you went down to RadioShack you could actually see something.” As a teenager he would walk into stores and soak up information, spending hours reading labels, and memorizing prices and feature lists. It was inside those walls where so many watched the technological revolution unfold — and where they first jumped in.

Likes OmCheeto, edward and dlgoff
Went to a local closing store today. One of the liquidator reps was there so I asked about buying the parts drawers. She left a message for someone to call her back about selling them, when her phone rang with the answer the ring-tone was the theme song from the 'Walking Dead'. :eek: The poor sales droid behind the counter face just went blank.

nsaspook said:
Went to a local closing store today. One of the liquidator reps was there so I asked about buying the parts drawers. She left a message for someone to call her back about selling them, when her phone rang with the answer the ring-tone was the theme song from the 'Walking Dead'. :eek: The poor sales droid behind the counter face just went blank.
:oldlaugh::oldlaugh::oldlaugh:

I want drawers.

dlgoff said:
Looks like one of the stores I use will say open. :approve:
Same here. :biggrin:

dlgoff said:
:oldlaugh::oldlaugh::oldlaugh:

I want drawers.

They were actually some very nice drawers. I did buy a nice digital caliper for a few bucks.
331016_Large_42383_AuctionGalleryImage.jpg

nsaspook said:
They were actually some very nice drawers.
331016_Large_42383_AuctionGalleryImage.jpg
Oh I know. :oldlove:

dlgoff said:
Oh I know. :oldlove:

The answer I got was that store 'fixtures' are going to be sold when they completely clear the store in 9 days but I think I'll check again next week early.
http://globenewswire.com/news-relea...tions-throughout-the-U-S-and-Puerto-Rico.html
NORTHBROOK, Ill., Feb. 6, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Store closing sales started today at over 1,700 RadioShack locations throughout the country. RadioShack, one of America's largest consumer electronics retailers, filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection and has engaged a joint venture comprising Hilco Merchant Resources, Gordon Brothers Group and Tiger Capital Group to manage its store closing process.

Discounts of up to 50% off original prices are being offered at all closing locations on the entire inventory of top brand headphones and speakers, wearable technology, smart toys, connected home, power accessories, home entertainment and much more. RadioShack's huge selection of electronic components, batteries, and everything for the hobby and electronics enthusiast is now also on sale at compelling price reductions.

A spokesperson for the joint venture said, "RadioShack is well known for carrying an incredible range of merchandise and consumers are encouraged to take advantage of the fantastic deals right away while the selection is best. Deep discounts coupled with the high demand for consumer electronics merchandise will make this a very short sale."

Store fixtures and equipment are also available for sale at the closing locations.

Likes dlgoff
Sorry to see you go RadioShack

tumblr_njfjjfZUKy1qewacoo1_500.jpg

Likes diogenesNY and Psinter
A historical tidbit: their headquarters building in Fort Worth, Texas had its own subway (metro) line until 2002:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Center_Subway

http://www.ktransit.com/transit/NAmerica/uscentral/dfw/lightrail/ftwlr04.jpg

It was built in the 1960s by a department store that originally occupied that location.

Likes dlgoff

The secret behind the success of American business.

The Radio Shack I loved has been gone for a while.

dlgoff said:
I want drawers.
Me got drawers today. I bought the store's last set.

?temp_hash=a5384cfc5df1bd7a4b41897cf1efc60f.jpg

Attachments

• drawers.jpg
    drawers.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 519
Likes mheslep, Astronuc, nsaspook and 1 other person
dlgoff said:

Sweet!
I've been shredding and burning all of my paperwork from the last 40 years over the last month.
I estimate that half of my receipts were from Radio Shack.
I also found a check stub made out to them, dated Sept 4, 1991, for over $1400.
I'm pretty sure I was paying off my RS credit card.
Some people have alcohol problems. Other people have drug problems.
I definitely had an electronics problem...

I bought my first computer from RS back around 1980. 4k of ram, running at 0.000895 Ghz.
Everyone made fun of it, because it had a "chiclet" keyboard.
I think that's somewhat funny now, as I'm typing on a Macbook Pro, with a, chiclet keyboard...

Likes Silicon Waffle
Radioshack is dead, I'm glad that you bought it as a loot.. You may want to add more functionalities to your machines and Dream on...:oldlove:

Is this the first time radioshack has kicked the bucket ? :oldsmile:. what If its current owner resells the company.
I am amazed how a company can be resold year after year. (I don't know if it follows [US] business laws :oldsmile: which I have no clue about also.)

Silicon Waffle said:
Is this the first time radioshack has kicked the bucket ? :oldsmile:. what If its current owner resells the company.
I am amazed how a company can be resold year after year. (I don't know if it follows [US] business laws :oldsmile: which I have no clue about also.)
Radio Shack is both a brand and a corporation. The brand can survive long after the demise of the corporation.

I first encountered Radio Shack after is was acquired by Tandy Corporation. I used to buy electronics components to supplement a 100-in-one kit my parents bought me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RadioShack

As others have indicated, it stopped being a 'radio shack' (i.e., an electronics hobby shop) along time ago.

Likes Silicon Waffle
dlgoff said:
Since there the phrase "big corporations own/control America" garners well over a hundred million hits, does this liquidation purchase mean that dlgoff now owns/controls America (in part)?

Likes dlgoff
mheslep said:
Since there the phrase "big corporations own/control America" garners well over a hundred million hits, does this liquidation purchase mean that dlgoff now owns/controls America (in part)?
I'll sell it to you for $50 (what it cost me) and you too can see how it feels to be in control. :oldcool:

Likes mheslep

1. What does Radio Shack's liquidation sale mean for the company?

The liquidation sale at Radio Shack is a sign that the company is struggling financially and is attempting to sell off its assets in order to pay off debts and potentially avoid bankruptcy. It could also be a sign that the company is restructuring and closing underperforming stores to focus on more profitable locations.

2. Is this a common occurrence in the retail industry?

Yes, it is not uncommon for struggling retail companies to hold liquidation sales in order to generate cash and reduce inventory. Other examples include Sears, Toys R Us, and Payless ShoeSource.

3. Does this mean that Radio Shack is no longer a major player in the electronics market?

Radio Shack's decline in recent years has certainly affected its position in the electronics market. However, the company still has a strong brand and loyal customer base, and it is possible that with restructuring and strategic changes, it could make a comeback in the future.

4. How does this reflect on the state of corporate dominance in America?

The liquidation sale at Radio Shack is not necessarily a reflection of corporate dominance in America. While it does highlight the struggles of some large corporations, it is important to consider the specific circumstances and factors that led to the company's downfall.

5. What does the future hold for Radio Shack?

It is difficult to predict the future of Radio Shack at this point. The company's success will depend on its ability to adapt to the changing retail landscape and consumer preferences. It is possible that with a successful restructuring plan and investment in innovative products and services, Radio Shack could make a comeback in the future.