1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactive decay as explained by Wikipedia

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1
    I am wondering what any experts think about these Wikipedia explanations of radioactive decay. (Wiki asks for help improving this article, so somebody must recognize some issues.)
    Thanks.

under "EXPLANATION":

Huh?? Does this mean anything??

What does "activation energy" assoicated with chemical reactions have to do with radioactive decay..a quantum tunneling effect...a statistical decay??

under "DECAY MODES IN TABLE FORM":

Energy carrying mass?? I did not know energy could lug mass all over the place.
    I'm sure the author means "decay energy equivalent to a mass" via E=mc2....

and
    Huh???? What does this mean??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

This simply describes the reason for Half Lives of material and why it's a probability. Quantum tunneling is probability based.
    This means that before the event can occur, there needs to be a small input to "get the ball rolling" so to speak. If you apply more energy to something it has a better chance of tunneling through a barrier in Quantum Tunneling.

No, ALL energy is accompanied by mass. (Or momentum in the case of a photon)

This means that the energy from the decay is released as photons and as a moving particle. When they collide or are absorbed by the surrounding material that energy becomes thermal energy, AKA heat. The random motion of particles in a material IS heat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook