1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of gyration/power/rev per minute

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A water wheel rotates a generator producing power from vertically flowing water onto its blades. Height of water is 100m above blades. init vert velocity is 0.
    I have calc velocity at hitting wheel as 44.3m/s
    calc the mass of water hitting the wheel per second to create 20kW power
    Calc rev/min of gene (wheel and gene combined radius of gyration 3m and mass 120kg)

2. Relevant equations
    v²=u²+2as
    K.E=0.5mv²
    P.E=mgh
    J=mk²
    g=9.8m/s²

3. The attempt at a solution
    For mass I have calculated P.E and K.E in terms of m and made equal to 2000 giving answer 10.2Kg? not sure if this is right.
    For rev/min I have worked out J=120x3² = 1080kg m², not sure where to go from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

10.19 or 10.2 kg/s is correct. Remember to put the correct units of mass per second.

For the second part, remember that you can the kinetic energy of a rotating component as E = Iω2 = mk2ω2.

or in terms of power P = Mk2ω2 where M is the mass per second and ω is in rad/s.

4. Aug 30, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the help, but I cannot find that equation, I can however find the equation E = 0.5 mk2ω2.
    If I use this then I get 20000=0.5x120x32ω2
    which gives me 6.086rad/s.
    Am I right to use the mass of 120kg, as this is given in the question, and I'm not sure if i need the 0.5 in the equation? Thanks.

5. Aug 30, 2011 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

That's equating energy with power,

you need to find E which would normally be the KE+PE but you aren't given a time element so I am not sure if you can get it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook