Rare, not so well known facts about Andromeda. ?

In summary: There are two companion galaxies to M31, which can be seen with the help of a telescope. They are both pretty small, but they are there. M31 is a large galaxy, and it's easy to see with the naked eye, even if you don't have a telescope. There are a lot of interesting things to write about M31, like its size and how it's different from other galaxies, but those are just a few ideas. Good luck!
nukeman
I am doing a project on Andromeda, just doing a big write up about it, and draw some pictures of it by hand and so on.

Anyone have some facts on it that may not be so well known, and maybe some interesting facts about it that the average stargazer might not know that I can write about. ?

Thanks, appreciate it!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Anyone? :)

Thanks

You'll probably have to get pretty specific before you can get the kind of help you're asking for. How much research have you done, what basic facts have you collected, what is the thrust of your project, and at what level of comprehension does it need to be presented at? You get the drift, I hope. Those are the most basic questions off the top of my head.

turbo-1 said:
You'll probably have to get pretty specific before you can get the kind of help you're asking for. How much research have you done, what basic facts have you collected, what is the thrust of your project, and at what level of comprehension does it need to be presented at? You get the drift, I hope. Those are the most basic questions off the top of my head.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Well, the project asks for just a basic write up, few pages (with diagrams) of basic information regarding andromeda, and also how its appearence differs from looking with the naked eye, to a telescope, to hubble.

I wanted to write up the basic information, plus concentrate on one particular aspect that can be greatly elbaorated on. I am just not sure where to go into greater detail.

Thanks

M31 is the best-studied galaxy in our neighborhood. You might consider writing about the various distance calibrators that have been used over the past 100 years or so to determine the distance to that galaxy. At one time, M31 was thought to be a nebula within our own galaxy, until observations showed that it was a large collection of stars - an island universe. These are historical facts and are well-known, but bringing them all together and showing how well the distance-calibrators helped refine our understanding of the distance to M31 would be a nice project.

Along the way, you could include information about M31's companion galaxies and the types of instruments that can show them. You can see M31 naked-eye from about any decent dark site, binoculars can show more, and telescopes, even more, including companion galaxies. It is one of the most photographed objects in the night sky (for a LONG time), so there are plenty of images to choose from. Good luck.

Do a Google search and find out about the various distance-indicators that have been used to find out how far away M31 is. You might be interested to see how well they agree.

Great!, Thanks! Ill do just that.

turbo-1 said:
M31 is the best-studied galaxy in our neighborhood. You might consider writing about the various distance calibrators that have been used over the past 100 years or so to determine the distance to that galaxy. At one time, M31 was thought to be a nebula within our own galaxy, until observations showed that it was a large collection of stars - an island universe. These are historical facts and are well-known, but bringing them all together and showing how well the distance-calibrators helped refine our understanding of the distance to M31 would be a nice project.

Along the way, you could include information about M31's companion galaxies and the types of instruments that can show them. You can see M31 naked-eye from about any decent dark site, binoculars can show more, and telescopes, even more, including companion galaxies. It is one of the most photographed objects in the night sky (for a LONG time), so there are plenty of images to choose from. Good luck.

Do a Google search and find out about the various distance-indicators that have been used to find out how far away M31 is. You might be interested to see how well they agree.

nukeman said:
I am doing a project on Andromeda, just doing a big write up about it, and draw some pictures of it by hand and so on.

Anyone have some facts on it that may not be so well known, and maybe some interesting facts about it that the average stargazer might not know that I can write about. ?

The full Andromeda galaxy appears 6-7 times larger in the sky than the moon. The central portions are brightest and easiest to see, so it appears smaller with small telescopes, binoculars, or the naked eye, but it'd fill a sizable chunk of the sky if your vision were sensitive enough to see all of it.

cjameshuff said:
The full Andromeda galaxy appears 6-7 times larger in the sky than the moon. The central portions are brightest and easiest to see, so it appears smaller with small telescopes, binoculars, or the naked eye, but it'd fill a sizable chunk of the sky if your vision were sensitive enough to see all of it.

This is what galls me. I get different indications of sizes from different places; some indicate it similar to the full moon, some indicate it is much larger.

Either way, no matter how hard I try, I have never been able to see it at all. And I look every chance I get. I wonder if I'm looking for something small, like the pleiades, and missing the forest for the trees.

DaveC426913 said:
This is what galls me. I get different indications of sizes from different places; some indicate it similar to the full moon, some indicate it is much larger.

Either way, no matter how hard I try, I have never been able to see it at all. And I look every chance I get. I wonder if I'm looking for something small, like the pleiades, and missing the forest for the trees.
Dave, it is HUGE if you have dark skies. Look for something like an extension of the Milky Way, and look with your eyes wide open and not necessarily with direct vision. It's best if you have spent at least 15-20 minutes in the dark before looking for faint stuff, to get your dark-adaptation somewhat underway.

I have a question.

What features can you see from Hubble that any other Earth based amateur telescope can see?

DaveC426913 said:

The PAndAS team has been using the Canada France Hawaii Telescope to survey Andromeda. It turns out that its halo is probably even larger than the 6-7 times the size of the moon stated by cjameshuff. You can see the image here:

https://www.astrosci.ca/users/alan/PANDAS/Latest_news__Largest_map.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
nukeman said:
I have a question.

What features can you see from Hubble that any other Earth based amateur telescope can see?

This question is confusing. There are an near-infinite number of things that the Hubble scope can see that can also be seen by amateur scopes.

Um... The Orion Nebula, The Horeshead Nebula, Crab, Trifid, etc.

Anything that falls between
- the very close, bright things such as planets, that are too bright for Hubble, and
- the very far, dim things such as deep-field galaxies that are too dim for amateur scopes

So the following: The Orion Nebula, The Horeshead Nebula, Crab, Trifid - are things Hubble can see, that most amateur telescopes cant?

Is there a picture that shows the various parts and names the parts of the andromeda galaxy viewed from a telescope or hubble?

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
You want people to do your work for you. I've tried to help, but you're slacking off badly

Its not even related. I am trying to draw an image. Thanks for the kind words.

nukeman said:
So the following: The Orion Nebula, The Horeshead Nebula, Crab, Trifid - are things Hubble can see, that most amateur telescopes cant?
No. That's not what you asked for.

What you asked is this:

i.e. what both can see.

1. What makes Andromeda a unique galaxy?

Andromeda is unique because it is the largest spiral galaxy in our Local Group, which consists of over 54 galaxies including the Milky Way. It is also the closest spiral galaxy to our own, located approximately 2.5 million light-years away.

2. How many stars are estimated to be in Andromeda?

It is estimated that there are over 1 trillion stars in Andromeda, making it significantly larger than our own Milky Way galaxy, which has an estimated 100-400 billion stars.

3. Are there any other galaxies merging with Andromeda?

Yes, Andromeda is currently on a collision course with the Milky Way and is expected to merge with it in approximately 4.5 billion years. However, this merger is not expected to have any significant impact on Earth or our Solar System.

4. How old is Andromeda?

The age of Andromeda is estimated to be around 10 billion years old, which is only slightly older than the Milky Way. This makes Andromeda one of the oldest galaxies in the known universe.

5. Is there any evidence of life in Andromeda?

As of now, there is no evidence of life in Andromeda. However, with its large number of stars and potential habitable planets, it is possible that there may be extraterrestrial life forms in this galaxy.