Rate of change of area with deformation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Coderhk
Messages
59
Reaction score
2
Homework Statement
Suppose I had a coil as shown in the picture. If I was to stretch the wire in the x-axis at a rate v. What is the area as a function of time.
Relevant Equations
X^2+Y^2=z^2
241230
241231
Could I please get a hint on how I should start this question/how I should parameterize these variables?
I'm going to head to sleep as I am from the eastern time zone. I apologize ahead of time for my delayed reply.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
Please post a clearer image of your work.
Or, preferably, type it out.
 
You will also have to describe better the situation you are considering. In the problem statement, you say you stretch the wire, but in your solution you say that y decreases with time.