Rated capacity for webbing flat slings

In summary: SWL of 1600lbs/in. If they make 1 ply 3mm, only the 1 ply that is 3mm thick will have a SWL of 1600lbs/in.
guideonl
Hi,
I have read Lift-it catalogue and I found out it is very professional and useful . I have some questions in the subject and I'll be grateful for professional answers.
I found out that there is a direct relationship between SWL and the width of the strip (1600 lbs/in of width for nylon, 1000 lbs/in for polyester ), and I wonder what about the thickness of the strip? Does the thickness not affect SWL? Looking in manufacturers catalogues shows that it does affect SWL!?
Also, I have read WSTDA std and even there I realized that the material strength is expressed in the same manner/units (values 9800 lbs/in of width & 6800 lbs/in of width or 121.43/175 in SI units) without taking in account the thickness.
1) Could enyone explain to me why/where the thickness is hiding ? Also, what is the meaning of these values (9800/6800) in compare to the above 1600/1000 values?
2) At the above std (WSTDA-WS-1 2.10.3) there is an expression for rated capacity determination, and I'll be glad to get some typical values using this expression. By the way, is there a difference in the safety factor (5) used in USA according to the mentioned expression, and that used in the EUROPEAN (7)?
3) Is there any similar expression for round slings?
Thank you,Guideon

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't claim any particular knowledge of slings, but thinking about this from first principles:

Effectively, the sling has no stiffness in bending. Whatever its thickness, it is very flexible.

Therefore, the pressure load acting on the surface of the sling depends mainly on the local radius of curvature of the sling. If the sling is wrapped round a sharp corner of a component, this pressure will be very high.

I would guess critical failure mechanism is that the high surface pressure can "cut through" the sling at a sharp corner. The load required to make the sling fail in tension by over-stretching it is probably much higher (at least for slings with realistic practical thicknesses) so that does not limit the SWL.

The thickness might affect the length of time it takes to cut through the sling, but not the fact that a given pressure will start to cut through it. Clearly for safe working you don't want any damage done to the sling, so the extra time to failure doesn't change the SWL.

The force required to produce a given pressure is proportional to the width, because a wider sling distributes the force over a bigger area. Therefore the SWL is proportional to the width as in the catalog.

Well conditioned rope will break at its adjoining knot. The breaking force of a knot typically varies from 50% to 75% of the rope's capacity. So, as stated above, the webbing will break at its fold. The Swl has a safety factor of about 5, but this varies.

Thank you for the replies.
Alef theory is interesting, but I expect (as far as possible) to get a definite answer/s from someone who has an experience in that field.
Thanks again, Guideon

Slings are manufactures to standard thickness. So you can get 1 ply, 2 ply, etc. As they all have the same thickness, you can take that term out of your definition of strength. You'll notice 2 ply webbing have a higher load capacity per unit width than an 1 ply (should be approximately double).

It's as simple as that really, it's one of those things you just discount because the answer seems too simple to be correct.

Last edited:
xxChrisxx Hi,
You are right that there are standard thicknesses, but I think that you misunderstood what I ment..I'll try to clarify.
One ply strip could be manufactured in several standard thicknesses, and their coresponding SWL is different (SWL increases with thickness increase, in other words, one ply 4 mm thickness has higher strength than one ply 3 mm thickness).
If so, how come the thickness is not a parameter in the correlation (SWL=width * number of plies * 1600 lbs/in for nylon, or *1000 for polyester) and the strength material I mentioned in my original question (their units are also lbs/in of width)?!
Thanks,
Guideon

guideonl said:
xxChrisxx Hi,
You are right that there are standard thicknesses, but I think that you misunderstood what I ment..I'll try to clarify.
One ply strip could be manufactured in several standard thicknesses, and their coresponding SWL is different (SWL increases with thickness increase, in other words, one ply 4 mm thickness has higher strength than one ply 3 mm thickness).
If so, how come the thickness is not a parameter in the correlation (SWL=width * number of plies * 1600 lbs/in for nylon, or *1000 for polyester) and the strength material I mentioned in my original question (their units are also lbs/in of width)?!
Thanks,
Guideon

If a manufacturer makes 1 ply 4mm, all 1 ply will be 4mm from that manufacturer. The ply thickness may change between manufacturers, but it's still irrelevent. It only becomes relevement if you have to specify a strap or tether with a certain CSA (which almost never happens, which is consequently why they don't specify a braking load in terms of stress).

To be honest it's irrlevent the thickness of the strap, all you need to know is the breaking load. You'll find many manufacturers sell slings and straps with the daN. Thats a pure load rating.

Also a link to the catalogue where you are having trouble would be helpful.

Last edited:

1. What is the rated capacity for webbing flat slings?

The rated capacity for webbing flat slings varies and depends on the size, material, and construction of the sling. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's specifications for the specific sling being used.

2. How is the rated capacity determined for webbing flat slings?

The rated capacity for webbing flat slings is determined by the sling's breaking strength and its safety factor. The breaking strength is the maximum load that the sling can withstand before breaking, while the safety factor is the ratio of the sling's breaking strength to its rated capacity.

3. Can the rated capacity be exceeded for webbing flat slings?

No, the rated capacity should never be exceeded for webbing flat slings. Doing so can result in serious injuries or accidents. It is important to always follow the manufacturer's recommendations and never use a sling that is damaged or has a lower rated capacity than the load being lifted.

4. How often should webbing flat slings be inspected for their rated capacity?

Webbing flat slings should be inspected before each use and periodically throughout their lifetime to ensure they are still capable of handling their rated capacity. Any damage or wear and tear should be noted and the sling should be replaced if necessary.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using webbing flat slings at or near their rated capacity?

Yes, it is important to always follow proper lifting techniques and never exceed the rated capacity for webbing flat slings. The load should be evenly distributed and the sling should be securely attached to the lifting equipment. Additionally, the surroundings and environment should be considered to ensure safe lifting operations.

Back