Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ray Bradbury Dies

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 6, 2012 #3

Astronuc

5. Jun 6, 2012 #4

Evo

I think I read almost everything he wrote. R.I.P.

6. Jun 6, 2012 #5

Borek

RIP Ray, you were read even here.

7. Jun 6, 2012 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

RIP Ray Bradbury.

Thanks for making things like this possible:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEMWtyAKRhQ

8. Jun 6, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

What a great author. He'll be missed.

9. Jun 6, 2012 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I've got everything he ever wrote, although most of it isn't the first copy I read 'cause I got those from a library in my teens but I love his stuff so much I bought everything later. My kids have also read some of his best.

RIP

10. Jun 6, 2012 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Some of his best works (IMO) were not the novels and novellas that got so much attention, but the short stories that turned up in the pulps.

I was quite lucky that my friend's father was a fan of the pulps and he subscribed to quite a few of them. I was careful with his books, and always returned them in good order, so I got to read a lot of stories that I could not have afforded otherwise. Very nice guy. MIT prof with national security experience from the beginnings of the cold war. AND a fan of science fiction. His library was incredible. Still, I loved those pulps.

11. Jun 6, 2012 #10

Evo

I absolutely loved the short stories in "The Illustrated Man". "The veldt", and "Last night of the World" are two of my favorites, although all are excellent. I still periodically remember that scene from "The long rain" in the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Illustrated_Man

12. Jun 6, 2012 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Bradbury's short stories were among the best in the pulps. He had a way of expressing complex situations with minimal words, and still made the stories enjoyable and readable. The editors of those pulps had a way of coaxing cogent and compact stories out of their contributors, as explained in many fan-mags. I doubt that Bradbury needed such guidance.

13. Jun 7, 2012 #12

Danger

Gold Member

That actually explains, as well as I could, my opinion of him. He was not a Science Fiction writer, in that he had no regard for scientific accuracy. He was a brilliant poet and fantasist, whose vision frequently tended toward the future. Normally, I detest poetry, but his was in a class by itself. I'm sorry that he is no longer here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook