1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction of acetic acid (CH3COOH) with potassium hydroxide (KOH)

1. May 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Balance the following equation and write the corresponding
    ionic and net ionic equation (if appropriate):

CH[itex]_{3}[/itex]COOH [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex]+ KOH [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

None as far as I know.

3. The attempt at a solution

I wrote:

CH[itex]_{3}[/itex]COOH [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex]+ KOH [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] CH[itex]_{3}[/itex]COOK [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex] + H[itex]_{2}[/itex]O [itex]_{(l)}[/itex]

But this is the wrong answer.

I don't understand why K[itex]^{+}[/itex] does not form a compound with CH[itex]_{3}[/itex]COO[itex]^{-}[/itex]. Can anyone tell what concept or law/theorem controls what compounds form and what compounds do not form? Why is K[itex]^{+}[/itex] a spectator ion in this reaction?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Your reaction equation is OK, it just doesn't answer the question - you were asked to write ionic and net ionic reactions. Which of the compounds present in the reaction will be fully dissociated?

Note: format indices in your formulae with [noparse] and [/noparse] tags, not with LaTeX. And state of matter should be normal text, on the same level as the formula (so dissolved potassium acetate is [noparse]CH3COOK(aq)[/noparse] - rendered as CH3COOK(aq)).

4. May 14, 2013 #3
    So my initial line of thinking was:

Molecular Equation:
    CH3COOH (aq)+ KOH (aq) → CH3COOK (aq) + H2O (l)

Ionic Equation:

CH3COO- (aq) + H+ (aq) + K+ (aq) + OH- (aq) → CH3COO- + K+ + H2O (l)

Net Ionic Equation:

H+ (aq) + OH- (aq) → H2O (l)

This is incorrect.

But I reasoned that CH3COO- is a weak acid so all of the things in the textbook about not dissociating 100% must come into play here.

Therefore,

Molecular Equation:
    CH3COOH (aq)+ KOH (aq) → CH3COOK (aq) + H2O (l)

Ionic Equation:

CH3COOH (aq) + K+ (aq) + OH- (aq) → CH3COO- +K+ + H2O (l)

Net Ionic Equation:

CH3COOH (aq) + OH- (aq) → CH3COO- + H2O (l)

That is correct according to the answers in the text.

How come CH3COO- and K+ do not form a compound though? Is there anyway to calculate or know why? Is it because CH3COOH is not dissociated 100% in solution? (it is a weak acid.)

Thanks for the help with writing the equations.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  5. May 14, 2013 #4
    In the ionic equation, K+ and CH3COO- are dissociated because CH3COOK is a strong electrolyte. While CH3COOK is a weak acid so it doesn't dissociate 100%.

Is this correct. I'm surprised the text doesn't explain this. Borek, can you recommend any comprehensive, first year university chemistry textbooks?

6. May 15, 2013 #5

Borek

Imagine a solution containing equal concentrations of CH3COO-, Cl-, K+ and Na+ - you can't tell what compounds it contains, there is more than one answer. So we don't name these compounds at all, it is safer to simply list ions.

Sorry, I can't be of much help when it comes to books - unless you are interested in Polish ones :wink: Chang and Pauling are usually praised as good titles.

7. May 15, 2013 #6
    So the explanation that "In the ionic equation, K+ and CH3COO- are dissociated because CH3COOK is a strong electrolyte. While CH3COOH is a weak acid so it doesn't dissociate 100%." is incorrect? Or it doesn't make sense?

I'm reading Chang right now actually.

8. May 15, 2013 #7
    I meant to say CH3COOH is a weak acid, not CH3COOK. My idea is that CH3COOK is a strong electrolyte so it dissociates 100% in solution therefore leaving K+ and CH3COO- in solution.

9. May 15, 2013 #8

Borek

This part was OK, I just tried to answer your other question.

10. May 15, 2013 #9
    Oh, ok. I thought the two questions answered the same thing. Anyway I have a better idea of how to tell what products will arise from certain reactants. Thank you for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted