Reaction of acetic acid (CH3COOH) with potassium hydroxide (KOH)

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheAbsoluTurk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acid koh Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 80K views
TheAbsoluTurk
Messages
98
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Balance the following equation and write the corresponding
ionic and net ionic equation (if appropriate):

CH[itex]_{3}[/itex]COOH [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex]+ KOH [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex]


Homework Equations



None as far as I know.

The Attempt at a Solution



I wrote:

CH[itex]_{3}[/itex]COOH [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex]+ KOH [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] CH[itex]_{3}[/itex]COOK [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex] + H[itex]_{2}[/itex]O [itex]_{(l)}[/itex]

But this is the wrong answer.

I don't understand why K[itex]^{+}[/itex] does not form a compound with CH[itex]_{3}[/itex]COO[itex]^{-}[/itex]. Can anyone tell what concept or law/theorem controls what compounds form and what compounds do not form? Why is K[itex]^{+}[/itex] a spectator ion in this reaction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your reaction equation is OK, it just doesn't answer the question - you were asked to write ionic and net ionic reactions. Which of the compounds present in the reaction will be fully dissociated?

Note: format indices in your formulae with [noparse] and [/noparse] tags, not with LaTeX. And state of matter should be normal text, on the same level as the formula (so dissolved potassium acetate is [noparse]CH3COOK(aq)[/noparse] - rendered as CH3COOK(aq)).
 
Borek said:
Your reaction equation is OK, it just doesn't answer the question - you were asked to write ionic and net ionic reactions. Which of the compounds present in the reaction will be fully dissociated?

Note: format indices in your formulae with [noparse] and [/noparse] tags, not with LaTeX. And state of matter should be normal text, on the same level as the formula (so dissolved potassium acetate is [noparse]CH3COOK(aq)[/noparse] - rendered as CH3COOK(aq)).

So my initial line of thinking was:

Molecular Equation:
CH3COOH (aq)+ KOH (aq) → CH3COOK (aq) + H2O (l)

Ionic Equation:

CH3COO- (aq) + H+ (aq) + K+ (aq) + OH- (aq) → CH3COO- + K+ + H2O (l)

Net Ionic Equation:

H+ (aq) + OH- (aq) → H2O (l)

This is incorrect.

But I reasoned that CH3COO- is a weak acid so all of the things in the textbook about not dissociating 100% must come into play here.

Therefore,

Molecular Equation:
CH3COOH (aq)+ KOH (aq) → CH3COOK (aq) + H2O (l)

Ionic Equation:

CH3COOH (aq) + K+ (aq) + OH- (aq) → CH3COO- +K+ + H2O (l)

Net Ionic Equation:

CH3COOH (aq) + OH- (aq) → CH3COO- + H2O (l)

That is correct according to the answers in the text.

How come CH3COO- and K+ do not form a compound though? Is there anyway to calculate or know why? Is it because CH3COOH is not dissociated 100% in solution? (it is a weak acid.)

Thanks for the help with writing the equations.
 
Last edited:
In the ionic equation, K+ and CH3COO- are dissociated because CH3COOK is a strong electrolyte. While CH3COOK is a weak acid so it doesn't dissociate 100%.

Is this correct. I'm surprised the text doesn't explain this. Borek, can you recommend any comprehensive, first year university chemistry textbooks?
 
TheAbsoluTurk said:
How come CH3COO- and K+ do not form a compound though?

Imagine a solution containing equal concentrations of CH3COO-, Cl-, K+ and Na+ - you can't tell what compounds it contains, there is more than one answer. So we don't name these compounds at all, it is safer to simply list ions.

Sorry, I can't be of much help when it comes to books - unless you are interested in Polish ones :wink: Chang and Pauling are usually praised as good titles.
 
Borek said:
Imagine a solution containing equal concentrations of CH3COO-, Cl-, K+ and Na+ - you can't tell what compounds it contains, there is more than one answer. So we don't name these compounds at all, it is safer to simply list ions.

Sorry, I can't be of much help when it comes to books - unless you are interested in Polish ones :wink: Chang and Pauling are usually praised as good titles.

So the explanation that "In the ionic equation, K+ and CH3COO- are dissociated because CH3COOK is a strong electrolyte. While CH3COOH is a weak acid so it doesn't dissociate 100%." is incorrect? Or it doesn't make sense?

I'm reading Chang right now actually.
 
TheAbsoluTurk said:
In the ionic equation, K+ and CH3COO- are dissociated because CH3COOK is a strong electrolyte. While CH3COOK is a weak acid so it doesn't dissociate 100%.

Is this correct. I'm surprised the text doesn't explain this. Borek, can you recommend any comprehensive, first year university chemistry textbooks?

I meant to say CH3COOH is a weak acid, not CH3COOK. My idea is that CH3COOK is a strong electrolyte so it dissociates 100% in solution therefore leaving K+ and CH3COO- in solution.
 
TheAbsoluTurk said:
I meant to say CH3COOH is a weak acid, not CH3COOK. My idea is that CH3COOK is a strong electrolyte so it dissociates 100% in solution therefore leaving K+ and CH3COO- in solution.

This part was OK, I just tried to answer your other question.
 
Borek said:
This part was OK, I just tried to answer your other question.

Oh, ok. I thought the two questions answered the same thing. Anyway I have a better idea of how to tell what products will arise from certain reactants. Thank you for the help.