Reaction of alkyl halides with strong unhindered bases

  • Thread starter Thread starter alingy1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bases Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
alingy1
Messages
325
Reaction score
0
Please look at the image. For (b) and (c), what the solution manual says makes no sense to me.
You're reacting a primary alkyl halide with an unhindered base EtONa. They say that the only product is the alkene. Why do they not consider the SN2 reaction that WILL take place in larger quantity?
I'm uploading the question too.
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 12.52.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 12.52.51 PM.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,303
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 12.56.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 12.56.43 PM.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 945
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no other SN2 reaction. There aren't any other leaving groups.
 
I am actually not too sure, but I think it is due to the steric hinderance. The hinderance does not always have to be on the beta carbon, if you compare the structure to a neopentylic structure, which can never participate in an Sn2, there are similarities, except that there are only two metyl substituents, instead of three.

In all honesty, if I would not have known the answer i would have gone for Sn2 as well so I would also love to see a good explanation.