1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Chemistry: Not a Friedel-Crafts Reaction

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Draw the product that would be formed.
    (b) Provide a brief explanation for this and provide a couple of sentences and key mechanistic step(s) to illustrate your reasoning

24zliye.png

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is my reasoning and what I believe the reaction would turn out to be if Benzene was reacted with C5H11Cl:

Alkyl halides, among other molecules such as alkenes and alcohols would not form according to Friedel-Crafts' reaction because there are more stable molecules or carbocations. C5H11Cl would change to tert-Butylbenzene (below) because the intermediate of the product would create a 3° structure first from the non-Cl side.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tert-Butylbenzene.svg" [Broken]

Does this seem reasonable? I know that the 3° is the most stable of the carbocations, but I do not know if this is correct reasoning for the reaction. Does the Cl perhaps remain attached also?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2
    I re-looked at it, and noticed that there would be a carbon missing if the answer was what I put.

I would change my answer so that the middle Carbon furthest from benzene would have another carbon.

Does this seem more reasonable?

4. Sep 18, 2010 #3
    You're on the right track. Friedel-Crafts alkylation involves a carbocation intermediate. As with all carbocations, this intermediate will rearrange itself.

This wouldn't form a t-butyl carbocation, by the way, it would form a neopentyl carbocation. One way that this group can rearrange is through a methyl shift, which would put the positive charge on a tertiary center.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook