Reactions that produce harmless gas

In summary: The shelf life for this propellant would be short, as baking soda and vinegar rapidly lose their effectiveness.
ufo101
What reactions with easily obtainable reactants produce large amounts of harmless gas?

We want to make latex or rubber balloons that inflate by themselves. We would also like to reduce the amount of liquid or solid products left in the balloon, if possible.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Vinegar and baking soda make carbon dioxide, which is harmless at small quantities. There is probably something better, but that's the first one that popped into my head.

Perhaps something with a very low boiling point, that will evaporate once the balloon gets heated to the room temperature?

I don't think Vinegar and baking soda in small quantities are enough to blow up a balloon. I was thinking more along the lines of dry ice + water, but don't know if that will work. and dry ice itself is too cold anyway. the ideal solution would be a fairly slow chemical reaction that start with a bit of reactants and end up producing lots of gas.

I doubt you will find something like that (working in terms of chemical reaction). My first idea was dry ice as well.

ufo101 said:
I don't think Vinegar and baking soda in small quantities are enough to blow up a balloon. I was thinking more along the lines of dry ice + water, but don't know if that will work. and dry ice itself is too cold anyway. the ideal solution would be a fairly slow chemical reaction that start with a bit of reactants and end up producing lots of gas.

Well, baking soda is sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) with a molar mass of 84.007 g/mol. Vinegar is acetic acid (CH3COOH) with a molar mass of 60.05 g/mol. Each molecule of sodium bicarbonate give one molecule of CO2 with a molar mass of 44.0095 g/mol and density of 1.98 g/L as a gas.

So you need 1.98 grams of CO2 for a liter of gas. This is 0.045 mols, which would mean 2.7g of acetic acid, and 3.78g of sodium bicarbonate. There would also be 3.7g of sodium acetate, and 0.81g of water left over. I'd guess a party balloon is about 4 liters, so you'd need about 10g acetic acid, and 15g sodium bicarbonate. I'm not sure how pure sodium bicarbonate baking soda is, or the same for vinegar. If you were looking to do this commercially though you could get them both in bulk.

I'd go with just dry ice, really. You need so little that you probably won't need to worry about either the cold, or use water to get it to sublimate faster.

The only thing I am not sure about dry ice is whether it will not do damage to the balloon, especially if allowed to contact it directly. It will cool down the surface making it loose its elasticity and being more prone to rupture. Could be that's not an issue.

alxm said:
I'd go with just dry ice, really. You need so little that you probably won't need to worry about either the cold, or use water to get it to sublimate faster.

I wonder what the shelf life would be for this propellant?

There has to be a relatively safe azide that you can try. I don't know of any but a sufficiently bulky one should be fairly stable and generate enough N2 to inflate the balloon.

It seems like a lot of work and danger to do such a simple thing, though.

clorox bleach and tin foil.

Hydrogen is NOT a harmless gas.

i used NaHCO3 and HCL and it inflated a 1 quart ziploc bag pretty well

1. How can reactions produce harmless gas?

Reactions that produce harmless gas typically involve the combination or decomposition of substances. When these substances react, they release gas molecules that are non-toxic and do not pose a threat to human health or the environment.

2. What are some examples of reactions that produce harmless gas?

One example is the reaction between baking soda and vinegar, which produces carbon dioxide gas. Another example is the reaction between iron filings and sulfur, which produces hydrogen sulfide gas. Both of these reactions release harmless gases.

3. Can reactions produce different types of harmless gases?

Yes, there are many different types of reactions that can produce harmless gases. Some common examples include the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide, which produces oxygen gas, and the reaction between citric acid and baking soda, which produces carbon dioxide gas.

4. Why is it important for reactions to produce harmless gas?

If a reaction produces harmful gases, it can pose a danger to living organisms and the environment. Harmless gas production ensures that the reaction does not have negative effects and can be safely carried out without causing harm.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the production of harmless gas in a reaction?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the production of harmless gas in a reaction. These include the types and amounts of reactants used, temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts. These factors can influence the rate and efficiency of gas production in a reaction.