Readable paper version of Feynman's Physics textbooks

In summary, the conversation is about the different printings and paper quality of Richard Feynman's physics textbooks. The original edition from 1976 has yellowed pages, making it difficult to read. The question is whether there are newer printings from the original plates on better quality paper. Some suggest buying a newer edition, while others prefer the old edition for its content. Ultimately, it is recommended to check with a bookbinding forum for more information. The conversation also mentions the availability of electronic versions of the lectures.
EdmundRonald
Hi,

In my old age I've gone back to study physics at college. I own a really old (1976) edition of Feynman's physics textbooks, but the paper has yellowed to the point where I have trouble reading them, the contrast is low even though the print quality is ok.

Is there a printing on good paper from the original plates? Is there a modern printing that is better?

I really like these books, and as supplementary material they are useful for my courses, but a pain on my eyes.

Edmund

Likes Hamiltonian, dlgoff and vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes hutchphd, Bae3uyei, dlgoff and 1 other person
Hi DaveE,

Thanks for looking at my question. There have been a variety of printings, from the original photo plates, and then a new typeset version for the new millenium edition. I wonder whether someone who has physically viewed these knows what the paper/print quality is. Of interest here mainly the old "Commemorative" edition which is printed from the original plates but might (?) be on decent paper, the new millenium edition seems to be a pain to read due to the fonts, according to some comments.

Electronic reading is not the topic here, although of course it sufferes from a different set of readability issues and ... advantages :)

Edmund

Likes vanhees71
In paper I have the original edition 6th printing (1977) and it's still in good shape and well readable (except that of course there are traces of use ;-)). I have the Millenium edition as pdfs and they are also very well to read (though of course, I've not printed them out on paper). It's typeset in LaTeX but with some other than the CM fonts (I guess the main font is the LMRoman font, but there are many more fonts).

vanhees71 said:
In paper I have the original edition 6th printing (1977) and it's still in good shape and well readable (except that of course there are traces of use ;-)). I have the Millenium edition as pdfs and they are also very well to read (though of course, I've not printed them out on paper). It's typeset in LaTeX but with some other than the CM fonts (I guess the main font is the LMRoman font, but there are many more fonts).
I have the same printing. My paper has yellowed, I am simply looking for one printed on better paper. Incredible book!

Edmund

Likes vanhees71
Holy smokes! I can't believe this is still going on!

An old copy started to yellow after 50 years. Buy a new one. Maybe it will only last 50 more years. How old will you be then?

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
Holy smokes! I can't believe this is still going on!

An old copy started to yellow after 50 years. Buy a new one. Maybe it will only last 50 more years. How old will you be then?
Thank you, maybe you could help me. I want to order a new copy this week. But which?

- First edition: Good photostypeset print, really bad paper, some now yellowed.
- New Millenium: Decent paper, less good computer typeset print.

Ideally I want an edition that is phototypeset on acid-free paper, so I'm asking if anyone has seen one. Have you?

Edmund

You need to ask on Bookbinders Forum.

DaveE said:
Oh, yea, plus this. Which has completely solved the paper issues. And it's free.
https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/
Indeed. I've have copies of all his lectures on DVD. They are all awesome.

To put the matter to rest: I've finally had a New Millenium Edition in my hands. The paper is a bit transparent but it's ok, the print is decent. In my opinion, for my ageing eyes, it is more readable than the old editions are now, although the price seems a bit high.

Edmund

Likes berkeman, Hamiltonian and DaveE
dlgoff said:
Indeed. I've have copies of all his lectures on DVD. They are all awesome.
I didn't know that there was film? !

Edmund

EdmundRonald said:
I didn't know that there was film? !

Edmund
Not a film but his lectures.
I got them from the internet a long time ago. I believe from here:
https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/
edit: see post #12 and #3 above

1. What is the purpose of creating a readable paper version of Feynman's Physics textbooks?

The purpose of creating a readable paper version of Feynman's Physics textbooks is to make the material more accessible to a wider audience. Many people find it difficult to read and understand the original textbooks, which were written for advanced students in physics. By creating a more readable version, it allows for a broader range of individuals to learn from Feynman's teachings.

2. Is this paper version an exact replica of the original textbooks?

No, this paper version is not an exact replica of the original textbooks. While the content and concepts remain the same, the language and formatting have been adjusted to make it easier to read and understand. This includes breaking down complex ideas into simpler terms and using more visual aids.

3. Who is the target audience for this readable paper version?

The target audience for this readable paper version is anyone who is interested in learning about physics, regardless of their level of knowledge or background. It can be used by students, educators, or even individuals who simply have a curiosity about the subject.

4. Are there any additional resources included in this paper version?

Yes, this paper version may include additional resources such as practice problems, diagrams, and explanations to further enhance the learning experience. These resources are designed to supplement the material and aid in understanding the concepts.

5. How can I obtain a copy of this readable paper version of Feynman's Physics textbooks?

This readable paper version can be purchased through various online retailers or in physical bookstores. It may also be available through libraries or educational institutions. Alternatively, you can also find free online versions of the textbooks that have been made more readable.