Prove (1+x)^y ≤ 1+x^y for 0<y≤1 and x≥0

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
bobcat817
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let y be a fixed real number satisfying 0<y[tex]\leq[/tex]1. Prove that (1+x)[tex]^{y}[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]1+ x[tex]^{y}[/tex] for all x[tex]\geq[/tex]0.


Homework Equations


I'm not sure.


The Attempt at a Solution


The hint given with the problem states that the derivative of x[tex]^{y}[/tex] is yx[tex]^{y-1}[/tex]. My first thought is that I'm supposed to show that they are both strictly increasing, but I don't really know what that would help me with.

I'm not really looking for an answer so much as a bit of direction.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bobcat817 said:

Homework Statement


Let y be a fixed real number satisfying 0<y[tex]\leq[/tex]1. Prove that (1+x)[tex]^{y}[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]1+ x[tex]^{y}[/tex] for all x[tex]\geq[/tex]0.
.

Are you sure you didn't reverse the inequality sign?
Take f(x)=(1+x)y-1-xy and show that f' is positive for all positive x. This implies that f(x) is positive for all x because f(0)=0.
 
Oh yes. I am quite certain that the inequality is right. Doing a few test cases shows that it is the correct inequality. So, basically, I end up with:

-1<p[tex]\leq[/tex]0 Then letting p=|p|

and f'(x)=y[tex]\frac{1}{x^{p}}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{1}{(1+x)^{p}}[/tex]. And since x[tex]\geq[/tex]0 for all x, and since x<x+1 for all x, x[tex]^{p}[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex](x+1)[tex]^{p}[/tex] and so [tex]\frac{1}{(x+1)^{p}}[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{x^{p}}[/tex] giving that f'(x) is always positive and with f(0)=0, the intended result.

I trust that this is in the right direction, and thank you very much for your response.