Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real-life Superhero Escapes Prosecution!

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1

FlexGunship

Gold Member

(Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/13/us-superhero-arrest-idUSTRE79B4DI20111013)

Apparently this guy dresses up, and true to the stereotype, fights crime!

Hmm, obviously I need to see the video (can't watch it at work), but I can't imagine he just assaulted a group of people. Well, then again...

Oh, geeze. He didn't even make it to the "evil nemesis" stage before being unmasked.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2
    It's sure not clear from the video a fight was going on:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Oct 13, 2011 #3

FlexGunship

Gold Member

You mean... this guy might be a whackjob?!

5. Oct 13, 2011 #4
    I saw what looked like fists being swung around 0:12, and maybe someone kicking someone 0:18, knocking the kicked person to the ground.

6. Oct 13, 2011 #5
    I'm saying he might be the preacher from Footloose.

7. Oct 14, 2011 #6
    Good for him! If more joined him, we'd have less crime.

8. Oct 15, 2011 #7
    I wonder if he could actually be prosecuted under laws against vigilantism.

9. Oct 15, 2011 #8
    :smile: He does seem to have an inordinate desire for attention.

10. Oct 15, 2011 #9
    Don't think so. A vigilante is someone who punishes another, and is illegal. Detaining or arresting a criminal then calling the cops isn't vigilantism. It's citizenship, and is legal to one extent or another in all 50 states. The key is: know the law, obey the law.

I don't agree. In fact, he focused his efforts on avoiding the spotlight. His desire appears to be quite simple: Being the eyes and ears for law enforcement when law enforcement can't always be there. Sometimes that means getting into a scuffle. Mostly, it's just placing a phone call.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  11. Oct 15, 2011 #10
    I know. By what I saw in the video he was not doing anything other than any normal citizen would be allowed to do under the same circumstances. He immediately started telling people to call 911. He apparently only used pepper spray which is a common nonlethal self defense weapon that any one can use legally. Everything was spot on except that he was apparently actually out looking for crimes to stop. That is not exactly a legally defined right which makes me wonder if someone could indeed successfully prosecute him on it. If nothing else he could very easily be sued civilly but that isn't saying much.

12. Oct 15, 2011 #11
    I think he just watched the movie Kick-***... Not everything in movies is real kids.

13. Oct 15, 2011 #12

Danger

Gold Member

I both admire him and fear for him. He's both brave and stupid. His physical prowess is not to be questioned if he is indeed a mixed martial arts contender. At some point, though, he is going to jump into a nest of people carrying TEC-9's, MAC-10's, and other nasty numbered objects.
    As a side note, I know how much difficulty movie makers have in trying to accurately reproduce the appearance of a comic book hero on the screen. Chris Reeves had several different capes to be used in different circumstances such as flying, or standing, or running. The Spider-Man masks had plastic skulls inside to give the proper facial profile. Etc., etc..
    Given that, I have to honestly admire this dude's costume. That is some high-end craftsmanship.

14. Oct 15, 2011 #13
    He should be put in jail.

He should just join police if he likes keeping his city safe.

15. Oct 15, 2011 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Actually, he seems better-intentioned and less dangerous to the public than the Guardian Angels who are (or were) officially sanctioned.

16. Oct 15, 2011 #15

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

WHAT THE ??? --- can't this guy get ANYTHING right. Superheroes don't HAVE entourages. They're the strong silent type.

17. Oct 15, 2011 #16

Danger

Gold Member

Let's not forget sidekicks, though. Maybe he just had his cloned and thus has a multitude of them.

18. Oct 16, 2011 #17
    Why would that be a bad thing? It's what I and millions (billions, counting our planet) do all the time).

Reporting and stopping crimes are always legally correct.

Perhaps. Good luck on successfully suing someone for doing the right thing, particularly when tens of thousands would show up in his defence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook