Real-World Applications of Conic Sections: How Can They Benefit Us?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Bogrune
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Applications Conics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Bogrune
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
So I've been wondering for a long time: How are conics studied in Calculus and Analytic Geometry? Also, how are they applied in real-life situations, whether it's something as simple as construction, or something as complex as physics and engineering.

Ever since I studied conics in my Intermediate Algebra class, I've been very curious about them.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Simple planetary orbits are all some type of conic.

Trigonometry derives from studying properties of the circle.
 
Bogrune said:
So I've been wondering for a long time: How are conics studied in Calculus and Analytic Geometry? Also, how are they applied in real-life situations, whether it's something as simple as construction, or something as complex as physics and engineering.

Ever since I studied conics in my Intermediate Algebra class, I've been very curious about them.

Uses of conic sections include optics. Ellipses have medical applications because radiation from one focus will be reflected from the surface and collect and concentrate at the other focus. This can be used to break kidney stone material (maybe this is acoustics and not optics?). Flashlights can have a reflective surface shaped as a parabola with light source being reflected straight all parallel in the direction which the flashlight is pointed; its light source is located at the focus.