Rearranging Equations where the term seems to cancel?

So, on a recent maths paper I sat, there was a question where we had to make t the subject. (Disclaimer, this is not homework. I am simply curious, and cannot see how it works. Please don't Ban me) I could not do it for the life of me, because, seemingly the two ts cancel? I know this shouldn't happen, and my teacher went through it, however I've tried it every which way, and the solution still eludes me.
gLYVTSL.jpg

So I tried the following working, which my teacher suggested:
vHQecCg.jpg

So, I began by combining the fraction on the left, then I cross multiplied, collected all terms with t and... What? I can't seem to get any further, without cancelling, let alone getting rid of the b and R.

Am I seriously missing a trick here? I've never really been that good with algebraic fractions.

Also, any tips on the matter would be well received.

Answers and Replies

Student100
Education Advisor
Gold Member
So, on a recent maths paper I sat, there was a question where we had to make t the subject. (Disclaimer, this is not homework. I am simply curious, and cannot see how it works. Please don't Ban me) I could not do it for the life of me, because, seemingly the two ts cancel? I know this shouldn't happen, and my teacher went through it, however I've tried it every which way, and the solution still eludes me.
gLYVTSL.jpg

So I tried the following working, which my teacher suggested:
vHQecCg.jpg

So, I began by combining the fraction on the left, then I cross multiplied, collected all terms with t and... What? I can't seem to get any further, without cancelling, let alone getting rid of the b and R.

Am I seriously missing a trick here? I've never really been that good with algebraic fractions.

Also, any tips on the matter would be well received.

Why not factor out the t and then divide? The t's wouldn't cancel out anyway, there's no way to do that.

Likes NovicePWizzard
Why not factor out the t and then divide? The t's wouldn't cancel out anyway, there's no way to do that.
OHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thank you! That makes so much sense and I feel really dumb now. I guess I forget sometimes that -Rt = -1*R*t and thus I can factor it out like that.