Reasoning and Writing Question, what's your interpretation?

In summary, the equation to describe the student's total score as a ratio of total points earned to total points possible is 4n - 1m : 120. This equation accounts for the 4 points earned for each correct answer, the -1 point for each incorrect answer, and the 0 points for each blank answer.
PotentialE

Homework Statement

A student takes a 30-question mathematics exam on which she got n questions correct and m questions incorrect and left k questions blank. If correct answers are worth 4 points, incorrect answers are worth -1 points, and blank answers are worth 0 points, write an equation to describe the student's total score as a ratio of total points earned to total points possible.

Homework Equations

anything you can come up with! it's a logic-based question and they accept many different answers.

The Attempt at a Solution

what I would think, is that since there are 30 question, and if you get them all right you'll get 4 points each, meaning you'll get a 120 if you get a perfect score.
so the equation I came up with is:
4n - 1m + 0k = 120
4n - 1m = 120

any other suggestions? does this answer all parts of the question? looking for clever responses...

Physics news on Phys.org
PotentialE said:

Homework Statement

A student takes a 30-question mathematics exam on which she got n questions correct and m questions incorrect and left k questions blank. If correct answers are worth 4 points, incorrect answers are worth -1 points, and blank answers are worth 0 points, write an equation to describe the student's total score as a ratio of total points earned to total points possible.

Homework Equations

anything you can come up with! it's a logic-based question and they accept many different answers.

The Attempt at a Solution

what I would think, is that since there are 30 question, and if you get them all right you'll get 4 points each, meaning you'll get a 120 if you get a perfect score.
so the equation I came up with is:
4n - 1m + 0k = 120
4n - 1m = 120

any other suggestions? does this answer all parts of the question? looking for clever responses...

Setting it equal to 120 is not a ratio.

RoshanBBQ said:
Setting it equal to 120 is not a ratio.

yeah that's a typo, on my paper i have a colon

4n - 1m : 120

Do you have any reason to believe your answer is insufficient?

1. What is reasoning and writing?

Reasoning and writing is the process of using critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate information, and then communicating your thoughts and ideas effectively through written language.

2. Why is reasoning and writing important?

Reasoning and writing are essential skills for any scientist because they allow us to make logical connections between ideas, support our arguments with evidence, and communicate our findings to others in a clear and concise manner.

3. How can I improve my reasoning and writing skills?

There are several ways to improve your reasoning and writing skills, such as practicing regularly, seeking feedback from others, and reading and analyzing various types of writing to understand different styles and techniques.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in reasoning and writing?

Some common mistakes to avoid in reasoning and writing include using biased language, making unsupported claims, and failing to consider alternative perspectives or counterarguments.

5. How can I use reasoning and writing in my scientific research?

Reasoning and writing are integral parts of the scientific research process. They can help you develop and test hypotheses, analyze data, and communicate your findings to other scientists and the general public through scientific papers, presentations, and other means.