1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reasoning and Writing Question, what's your interpretation?

1. Apr 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A student takes a 30-question mathematics exam on which she got n questions correct and m questions incorrect and left k questions blank. If correct answers are worth 4 points, incorrect answers are worth -1 points, and blank answers are worth 0 points, write an equation to describe the student's total score as a ratio of total points earned to total points possible.

2. Relevant equations
    anything you can come up with! it's a logic-based question and they accept many different answers.

3. The attempt at a solution
    what I would think, is that since there are 30 question, and if you get them all right you'll get 4 points each, meaning you'll get a 120 if you get a perfect score.
    so the equation I came up with is:
    4n - 1m + 0k = 120
    4n - 1m = 120

any other suggestions? does this answer all parts of the question? looking for clever responses...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2012 #2
    Setting it equal to 120 is not a ratio.

4. Apr 4, 2012 #3
    yeah thats a typo, on my paper i have a colon

4n - 1m : 120

5. Apr 4, 2012 #4
    Do you have any reason to believe your answer is insufficient?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook