Recharging a dead battery on the moon with only copper wire

  • Thread starter Thread starter shounakbhatta
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Moon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
shounakbhatta
Messages
287
Reaction score
1
suppose that you went to moon.You have nothing else with you except a discharged battery.now if I have to recharge it how'd I do it? Only equipment permitted is a small copper wire.

Tanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's any way to generate electricity using a small copper wire.
 
A long copper wire maybe, but not a small/short one.
 
shounakbhatta said:
suppose that you went to moon.You have nothing else with you except a discharged battery.now if I have to recharge it how'd I do it? Only equipment permitted is a small copper wire.

Tanks

What are your thoughts on how to do it?
 
Maybe rubbing the wire with wool or some clothes and generate static electricity? Though I doubt it will manage to recharge the battery.
 
Tell me about the effect of the solar wind on the lunar surface.
 
phinds said:
Do you really think that has any bearing on the OP's question?
The solar wind creates electrostatic charges on the moons surface. He's only given a short copper wire to charge the battery. That's clearly what his professor has in mind.

That method of charging a battery is at least as practical as being on the moon with a dead battery you're looking to charge.

If MacGyver tried it, the battery would be charged in less time than it takes to explain the process.

Perhaps Shounakbhatta will get back to us on what his prof was looking for.
 
Even if we ignore the scale of those charge distributions (you need a difference to do anything), neglect issues like the bad conductivity of the material, tiny energy density, mismatched voltages and so on: how do you determine which way you have to connect the battery to avoid discharging it 50% of the time?
 
mfb said:
Even if we ignore the scale of those charge distributions (you need a difference to do anything), neglect issues like the bad conductivity of the material, tiny energy density, mismatched voltages and so on: how do you determine which way you have to connect the battery to avoid discharging it 50% of the time?
I believe areas exposed to the solar wind get a + charge, so put the battery in a shaded/protected area with the copper wire attached to the + terminal and extend the wire to an area where dust is suspended because of the electrostatic charge. Then bear in mind that if I create a single ion in that battery, I can claim to have charged it - though not "fully" charged it. You can then radio the professor (using another battery inaccessibly tucked into your suit) and have him get you back to Earth.