1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reckless Driving ticket - Say goodbye to gradschool plans?

1. Oct 20, 2012 #1
    I got a ticket for reckless driving for going 110 in a 60mph zone, silly I know.

I have no criminal record and I'm a good student! 4.0 GPA, studying math and physics, published papers, great research and internships, overseas REUs.

Reckless driving is a misdemeanor so I'll have to put it on my application. Should I say goodbye to graduate school? Or just shoot low now?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Why would you need to put a misdemeanor on your application?

4. Oct 20, 2012 #3
    I thought applications ask for misdemeanors?

5. Oct 20, 2012 #4
    At worst, it'll ask if you've ever been arrested. I doubt you were arrested for reckless driving. Generally they only care if you're a felon.

6. Oct 20, 2012 #5
    Nope wasn't arrested, just given a court date to go talk about it according to the cop. Still a misdemeanor though

7. Oct 20, 2012 #6
    110 mph. Nice.

(my applications, iirc, asked for felonies, that is all)

8. Oct 20, 2012 #7

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I really think they only ask you to list felony, but assume they do ask you for a misdemeanor. I'm positive you will not be the first person in the history of graduate school to get accepted with one.

9. Oct 20, 2012 #8
    I could have sworn I remembered reading in the applications I looked at to list "non-misdemeanor" offenses.

10. Oct 21, 2012 #9
    I have never heard of misdemeanors mattering in grad school application. Especially not traffic violations.

11. Oct 21, 2012 #10

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I think it's highly unlikely that they will ask you to list misdemeanors.

12. Oct 21, 2012 #11

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know enough about the US system to understand the definition of a misdemeanor and a felony, but that "go talkabout it" sounds a bit vague.

FWIW under UK court sentencing guidelines, 110 in a 60 area is above the cut-off limit for a fixed penalty speeding ticket and you would be charged with "careless or reckless driving", with an "average" sentence of 3 months in jail and a 1 to 2 year driving ban after you were relesed. But you wouldn't be arrested unless the police had reason to think you would abscond, or the driving offence was connected with some other criminal activity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook