Red object near horizon and color-flickering star in northeast sky

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cladson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Power Sky
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Cladson
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
I live in a pretty well lighted neighborhood.Lately the entire neighborhoods power has been going out. It makes it completely black outside.I saw a red star or something very low to the horizon northeast in the sky?anyone know what that may be?I also saw a star that was flickering all sorts of colors. Ex Blue green and a redish tint?I viewed it with my telescope but that didn't help
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
For identification of the red object, it would be very helpfull if you tell what time it was when you saw it (snd where you are). It could have been Mars (if you live in the south).
 
Yes i live in the pan handle of flordia.It was west in the sky and close tot the horizon around 8:30-9:00p.m. To bad I didn't have my telescope with me.Also later that night the power went off again around 11:30-12:15 and I went outside it was completely pitch black and looking directly up, straight through the middle of the sky was a bright bluish band cloud looking thing with a lot of stars in it.Is this part of the milkyway?
 
Last edited: